battery failing to charge

gib65

Hello,

A while ago, I got some help on this forum with some malware. You can link to the thread here. That problem remains fixed, but there is one minor symptom lingering, and it's been getting worse. It *may* have nothing to do with the malware problem I got help with here, but I know it started at the same time.

The problem is that the battery sometimes doesn't want to recharge when I plug it in. It will say that it's plugged in and charging, but the little battery icon in the system tray doesn't simulate the battery filling up like it used to, and if I hover the mouse over it over the course of several minutes, I can see the energy percentage dropping.

It's finicky. Sometimes it will charge, and then other times it doesn't. It seems to kick in at random times and it seems to all of a sudden stop at random times. It doesn't seem to matter the outlet I plug it into, while other laptops plugged into the same outlet don't seem to have that problem.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue (like maybe the battery or power driver is corrupted if there is such a thing). All I know is that it started when I first started having the problem mentioned in the above link, and that lately it's been getting worse.

Any help would be appreciated.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Could possibly be a bad power charger cable. The system could be recognizing the charger is physically there, but no juice is flowing to charge it up (damaged wire in charger).

The next time you notice it, try gently moving the charger cable around by 'snaking' it. Basically, take about 4-6 inches of cable between your two hands and move each hand up and down to flex the cable - do it for the entire length while keeping an eye on the charging icon. If it flickers on and off at any point, there is a break in the cable.