battery issue

hawil

i've got this problem with my laptop, as what the title says battery issue.
every time i charge the laptop until the battery icon at the lower left says fully charged then when i remove the power supply the battery life goes down to 75%:confused: is my battery damaged?

hawil

uh-oh! this laptop is just 8months old...:eek: what might have caused the battery to be broken very early? compaq presario cq40

TFT

VIP Member
The battery may have a "memory" effect. Roughly it means where the battery becomes conditioned to run for less time than it is designed to run, due to recharging when it is not flat.

It could be that it needs to be fully discharged before charging to clear the memory effect.

hawil

that's what i've done for the past few days, waiting for the battery to warn me that is about to go 0% and then charge but still the same thing. any other opinions on what to do or what have just happened?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look in the bios to see if there is an option to
'recondition" the battery. I've seen it on a few models but not a lot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you bootup or restart the laptop you will see where it says press "del" to enter setup. Press the delete key or whatever it says. Just look in there for options for battery, don't change any other settings though.

hawil

i'll try it right now.:cool: i hope this can help... i can't believe this happened on a 8month old laptop...

EDIT:
already did it but didn't find any options for battery settings. what now?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
With the laptop only 8 months old, it should be under warranty which includes the battery. Contact the manufacturer for replacement.

hawil

yes i have no choice. *sigh*
i had just concluded that no matter how advance the world is now today, there are still defects in there products. i really hate when this things happen to the fact that it's still a 8months old laptop.:mad:

gamblingman

VIP Member
Lithium-ion

What type of battery do you have, is it a Li-ion type?

Li-Ion batteries have many advantages, one is that they dont have a "memory". But they do have the problem of diminished output over time as the result of their poor cycle life. They degrade everytime they are recharged.

I seriously doubt that you could have caused that much damage in such a short amount of time. Though it could have been that the battery was exposed to high temps for an extended amount of time. High temps are very bad for Li-Ion batteries.

If I were you, I would start by getting in touch of the company you bought from and see if there is a recall on your computer model. Also try to see if they will give you a new set of batteries.

I would recommend that if you buy batteries, you buy them from the manufacturer of your laptop, and not go with third party batteries.

hawil

oh yah, i was thinking about that, because during i charge my batt. it heats a little. could that be the cause?

thanks for the suggestions. i'll be doing that.

gamblingman

VIP Member
Heat,

Well a little heat is fine and completely normal. It is an electronic component, so a little heat is expected. I'm talking about heat high enough for you to think "WOW! THATS HOT!" (...and not in a Taylor Swift kind of way)

I was meaning more that they might have stored it in a location that was too hot, while en-route to you. Or maybe you keep it in a place that gets really hot? What do you normally do with your laptop? Do you have it flat on a desk, or is there a cooling pad/tray under it?

When did you get your laptop, did you buy it new or used?

And stop cycling those batteries. You don't have to do that with Li-Ion Batteries. A lot of people got so used to the older types that you HAD to cycle or they would die. But with Li-Ion, you are doing more harm than good by cycling them.

I have two Li-Ion batteries for my Dell 1520 Inspiron, I hardly ever use battery power. But I swap between the two batteries every couple of months just to keep them active and fully charged. But I don't cycle them, I just put one in and let it charge.

Last edited:

hawil

i bought this laptop 8 months ago.
it lays flat on a computer table and a fan at the side of me but i think the air isn't enough to replenish the heat of that batt. while charging, i really suspect that it's because of the heat being produced while it's being charged.
btw, is it safe to use the laptop without its batteries?

i went to the service shop and i was told the batt. is dying so they will change it with a new one and for free, its still under warranty.

LA1

I would not fool around with the batery...if it is only 8 months old, it may still be under warranty. I would contact the manufacturer of your notebook.

gamblingman

VIP Member
ok, good

Ok, so its flat on the table. I, would consider that bad.

I used to keep my laptop flat on my computer table, until I noticed that it was getting so hot. Solution, I bought a cooling rack for it to sit on, mine cost about $15. It definitely runs cooler now. My cooling rack doesn't even have a fan built in, though some of the more expensive ones do. And yes, the battery can put out a lot of heat, even when its not charging. But especially when its charging.

Did you know that heat is one of the TOP killers of laptops; along with drops, spills, and dirt.

And to answer your other question; yes you could run a laptop without its battery. BUT, its really better if you don't. On some models (like my Dell) the manufacturer highly recommends that I run operate with it installed. So you need to check with the manufacturer before you run without the battery installed. Some may even void your warranty if you run without a battery installed.

However, consider this: your working on the big project, or a crucial part of a game, or a etc...

And the power cord pops out, NOOOO! Your laptop is now completely OFF! If you have the battery in, the computer will stay running. And thus, no lost "whatever" you were doing.

Last edited:

gamblingman

VIP Member
BAtt

I hope that was helpful. And we hope you see you around, dont be a stranger, eh? There are lots of great people to talk to here, and loads of interesting topics.