Battery Life decrease on Pie 9.0?

Darren

Staff member
I know this is a kind of arbitrary question since a ton of things affect battery life but I wanted to ask if any other Android users (especially Samsung S8+ or similar devices) noticed a decrease in battery life on Android Pie 9.0?

Me and several friends with various Samsung S phones have noted a decrease in battery life. I haven't done any real testing with this but wondered if any of you guys noticed this? I dig the overall update and look but certainly seems like a downgrade for battery.

Last edited:

digzu

There's apparently quite a lot of issues with it draining battery and appears to be an ongoing problem since quite a while from a quick search on Google. I don't have an Android device, though.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth I am running android 9 and anecdotally I find battery to be slightly worse, however I still get 2 days out of a full charge unless I really heavily hit youtube or something. I'm running a OnePlus 6.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On my S8+, they replaced my screen because of dead pixels and they also gave me a new battery. So now at the end of the day I'm right above 60 percent sometimes higher depending on how I use my phone. However, I don't remember if I got the pie update before or after the new battery. Plus it all depends on how many apps you have installed and if they constantly update in the background.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah I was just looking for some anecdotal experience really.

On my S8+, they replaced my screen because of dead pixels and they also gave me a new battery. So now at the end of the day I'm right above 60 percent sometimes higher depending on how I use my phone. However, I don't remember if I got the pie update before or after the new battery. Plus it all depends on how many apps you have installed and if they constantly update in the background.

60 percent end of the day? I'm at 52% and only been up for 5 hours today. I use mine a lot though.

speedyink

VIP Member
If anything I've noticed increased battery life on my S9. This is mainly attributed to more efficient standby power draw from my conclusions, since my use case involves my phone not being used much at all some days. On my lighter days my phone will typically go from 100% to maybe 86%. This would be from around 7:30 am to 11:00 pm. Compare this to going from 100% to closer around 70% before one of the updates (I can't recall which update exactly this happened after, but I want to think it was not the major 9.0 OS update, but a refinement update)

On the note of control of background apps, I do keep a tight ship on the apps I choose to install and which ones of those keep running in the background. I don't have any social media apps for example. May explain a bit..

Last edited:

OmniDyne

My battery life seems worse now. So there's that, although I think my battery is just wearing out.

UI is massively improved at least.

So far I'd say battery life is similar or slightly better. Have you guys ever used the adaptive power setting?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Fwiw, I don't use the power save feature and since a 100% charge around 2pm today, I'm now sitting at 83, and that was with heavy Google Maps usage keeping the screen on for most of that time. Galaxy S9+ on Pie. I'll close apps when I'm not using them, but only use the Optimize feature maybe one a week so I'm not sure what else is lurking in the deeper background.

OmniDyne

Interestingly, my buddy just complained to me, unprovoked, that his Note 9 battery life has "gone to shit" since the 9.0 update. He even got a notification that the battery is "draining".

Darren

Staff member
Interestingly, my buddy just complained to me, unprovoked, that his Note 9 battery life has "gone to shit" since the 9.0 update. He even got a notification that the battery is "draining".
I got that a little bit at first and so did a couple friends but it went away. It's got some battery AI at work but don't know anything about its execution really.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
It's a reminder that you have apps open (not background ones, actually stuff you opened) that haven't been used in a while. I like to keep stuff closed when I'm not actively using them so I rarely get the message anymore, however when I leave stuff open all day and never go back after the initial use I'll almost always get a warning.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I've only gotten worse battery performance since the May Update. 9.0 Pie update came earlier for me.

OmniDyne

It's a reminder that you have apps open (not background ones, actually stuff you opened) that haven't been used in a while. I like to keep stuff closed when I'm not actively using them so I rarely get the message anymore, however when I leave stuff open all day and never go back after the initial use I'll almost always get a warning.

Ahhh that's interesting. I always assumed closing out apps was a gimmick and the OS would throw the apps into a minimal state or something. I never close apps after I'm finished with them. I'm guessing I should probably do that?

I've only gotten worse battery performance since the May Update. 9.0 Pie update came earlier for me.

Actually yeah I stand corrected, my bad. It was a more recent update after 9.0 was installed.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Ahhh that's interesting. I always assumed closing out apps was a gimmick and the OS would throw the apps into a minimal state or something. I never close apps after I'm finished with them. I'm guessing I should probably do that?

It does put them into a low power state, but the whole point of having them open is to have them instantly available, so there is still memory and some amount of CPU usage. Try closing them periodically throughout the day and/or doing an Optimize.