battery life.....

vortmax

well i got my new laptop the other day (specs in sig) and i let it charge until the charging indicator on the laptop turned off. I even hit the led indicator on the battery to verify. It finished charging REALLY fast. When i turned it on and ran it without the cord, I only got about 2 hours, and that was just with web surfing . The processor was throttled down to like 533 MHz too. Is this typical battery life? I have the 9 cell battery too.

I'm upgrading my ram to 1gig on monday as i have a mere 256 right now. Could the low RAM be forcing excessive use of the page file which is draining the batttery quickly?

vortmax

wow.....that's really crappy. i was under the impression that battery life was longer then that except on the higher end gaming systems

alanuofm

VIP Member
vortmax said:
wow.....that's really crappy. i was under the impression that battery life was longer then that except on the higher end gaming systems

please give the laptop specs. can't tell the battery life without it.

thats typical battery life.. average.. try to maximize battery usage with power saver tools if it came with any..
since...

computerhakk

VIP Member
since average? "average"

most will run n outlast longerrrrr... but thats typical newly bought battery life unless u upgrade..

alanuofm

VIP Member
computerhakk said:
since average? "average"

most will run n outlast longerrrrr... but thats typical newly bought battery life unless u upgrade..

the battery makes very little difference. most today are 6,9, or 12 cell. a 6 cell pentium M with a 14 inch monitor can get up to 5 hours.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Hey guys there is a Large difference when you take into consideration HEAT. If you charge the battery while on a cloth.. blanket, pillor... It will take 2-3 times longer. If you use the computer on the saem type of surfaces it will drain the battery faster. Basically the soft clocth surface is absorbing the heat and holding it next to or on the battery. This very drastically changes the time your computer will stay on. I remember when I used to battery packs for an RC car.. we would put them in the freezer during charging.

HEAT HEAT HEAT!

computerhakk

VIP Member
alanuofm said:
average person doesn't have a 17 inch laptop monitor, geforce 6800, pentium 4 3.6 ghz, 12 cell battery or specs close to that nature. :)
with all due respect im not trying to go against u or anything.. and yes thats not what an average person has.. n thats not what i said.. usually.. all standard.. battery.. video card.. now w/ probably M processor.. bright tft.. etc.. so if they was to upgrade to a more powerful battery.. maybe it'll last him/her longer..

i personally have a toshiba m45-s351..when bought, all standard.. specs on toshiba said battery will last up to 4 hours.. but "up to" doesn't mean it WILL last 4 hours.. English is a very tricky language.. so with continuous use.. like he said just surfing online .. it only gave out 2 hours (surfing online) .. uses more memory requiring more battery power.. for browser, network, load time on pages, effects.. etc.. so when i say average.. its what he said "just with web surfing".. thats about what i get on a laptop.. now if it was "more than" and not "up to" its a totally different story..

EDIT:
so if he was to leave and have the hdd shutoff, screen shut off, standyby.. hibernate.. and all that stuff to conserve the battery.. then it should last "up to" 4 hours..

Last edited:

Jesusloving

what's the band of your computer?
average battery can last 2-3 hours~

well, it's a shame that my battery is already worn out~damn

alanuofm

VIP Member
Jesusloving said:
what's the band of your computer?
average battery can last 2-3 hours~

well, it's a shame that my battery is already worn out~damn

saying the average is a poor depiction of actual battery life considering the dramatic difference between the two ends of the spectrum.

X24

Well, that laptop should get better battery life then 2 hours from what i see in ur sig.
I mean, i got the 9 cell with this one, which includes the same processor, 512mb ram a 17" lcd screen geforce go 6800 100GB hdd and dvd burner, and i get 3 hours when i put it to max preformance and around 4-4 1/2 when i turn down the preformance.
i believe i even get around 1 1/2 - 2 hours playing a game on battery depending on the game.

ckfordy

banned
X24 said:
Well, that laptop should get better battery life then 2 hours from what i see in ur sig.
I mean, i got the 9 cell with this one, which includes the same processor, 512mb ram a 17" lcd screen geforce go 6800 100GB hdd and dvd burner, and i get 3 hours when i put it to max preformance and around 4-4 1/2 when i turn down the preformance.
i believe i even get around 1 1/2 - 2 hours playing a game on battery depending on the game.

do you play battlefield 2 on your laptop how long does it get when your playing it on battery

alanuofm

VIP Member
AMD64 said:
do you play battlefield 2 on your laptop how long does it get when your playing it on battery

he mentioned it in his comment how long he usually gets. its not really a good idea to play games on battery anyways.

X24

ya, and i haven't tested them, these are just estimates i have gotten from when i've played games on the road. (no i wasn't driving)

alanuofm

VIP Member
X24 said:
ya, and i haven't tested them, these are just estimates i have gotten from when i've played games on the road. (no i wasn't driving)

im sure theres a law against playing and driving.

X24

Ya, there probably is, but i was on my way to lincoln for a nebraska game, and i was playing battlefield all the way up.

alanuofm

VIP Member
X24 said:
Ya, there probably is, but i was on my way to lincoln for a nebraska game, and i was playing battlefield all the way up.
what u were behind the wheel? was it a cornhusker game?