Battery meter hates its life

speedyink

VIP Member
So I'm trying to help a friend with his laptop, and the last little problem is the battery meter keeps disappearing. The option is greyed out in the system icon settings(common problem it seems). He doesn't seem to care, but when I go to device manager and scan for hardware changes to bring it back, all the power saving stuff kicks in (screen dimming and all that). So it leaves me to believe he'll get better battery life with it there (it's pretty crap right now). For reference this is a fully updated Windows 10. So the fix on google is to go to device manager and disable then re-enable the battery and adapter. My problem is it never seems to stick with a reboot, every reboot it's gone and I have to do the same thing. This issue doesn't seem to prop up in google, or at least it's not easy to find the answer.

Any ideas? This is such a stupid little problem that shouldn't be this difficult, lol.

Agent Smith

It could be a piece of software that is interfering. I had Immunet installed and it would mess around with my taskbar icons. I had to always kill explorer.exe and restart it to get my icons all back. After uninstalling Immunet the problem went away.

It really is amazing at what a piece of software can do.

speedyink

VIP Member
Acer Aspire 5750. I'll try that.

Thanks, I'll see if there's any strange software on there. I know he uses Vector drawing software (Sketchup is one)

Agent Smith

I would ask when the symptoms occurred and then correlate that to any software or drivers that were installed during that time period. This may or may not be the issue.