Battlefield 3 Thread

Pocket

You are right, BF2 was an outstanding game, and that is a huge understatement. That doesn't mean BF3 will be, and if anything, going by the recent trend of FPS games, it won't be, and going by the recent trend of DICE, it won't be. Look at the new MOH when DICE got a hold of multiplayer, and then compare it to your older ones.

That main positive here is, as you say, it is designed for PC, and then ported to consoles, the way it should be. Get the best quality on all, rather than good quality for some, and awful for the rest.

And since when has an engine made a game good? It can provide the features, but those are only as good as the programmer implementing them.

I'm trying to be optimistic here :).

An engine built from scratch is good because it means they won't have to compromise on the features they want. Another plus is that they already had a test run with the earlier versions of the frostbite engine. Re-writing it from scratch, specifically for BF3 with PC as lead platform is only going to lead to good things.

IIRC, they started work on BF3 not too long after BF2 was released(2006/2007). Since they wouldn't have even had an engine at this point, it gives me hope that the base concept and gameplay of BF3 will stay true to the BF series as development started before the Call of Duty got big enough to influence every game and saturate the FPS market with what we have today.

Plus, I have yet to be disappointed with a Battlefield game in the PC series.

Last edited:

russb

They were fantastics vids thank you.I have had my order with Amazon since
March and i know i still have a long wait but with what i have just seen and heard roll on Nov.:D

Aastii

VIP Member
It is incredible how good this looks. They are putting their necks on the line a little though, if all the hype isn't worth it, they have dug themselves a huge hole to try and get out of

mihir

VIP Member
Will this game be released in 3D???
Getting this game would be really expensive me.
GPU+Game+Monitor+Mouse. :(
Also the above upgrade would be completely worth if the Batman Arkham City turns out to be awesome.
But Arkham City will be based on unreal engine 3,it would have been killer if they had a new engine for it.

Aastii

VIP Member
I should think it would have 3D, but honestly, I reckon you would be hard pressed to run it in 3D at high settings with current hardware, unless the engine has been optimised by god himself

mihir

VIP Member
I should think it would have 3D, but honestly, I reckon you would be hard pressed to run it in 3D at high settings with current hardware, unless the engine has been optimised by god himself

Getting this game would be really expensive me.
GPU+Game+Monitor+Mouse. :(

;)

Only my GPU would be a set-back,my CPU is awesome on stock itself,and I don't think @3.84 it would have any problem,my memory is ample.

Aastii

VIP Member
;)

Only my GPU would be a set-back,my CPU is awesome on stock itself,and I don't think @3.84 it would have any problem,my memory is ample.

I don't mean your current hardware, I mean current hardware as a whole. To get that sort of detail and those effects and maintain 120fps, I can't see it happening yet

mihir

VIP Member
I don't mean your current hardware, I mean current hardware as a whole. To get that sort of detail and those effects and maintain 120fps, I can't see it happening yet

Oh Right.
If they get it optimized to use 8 Cores then Zambezi would kick Butt. :D
Which I don't see happening. :(

Aastii

VIP Member
If they enable Physx, which I don't think will happen because of them not mentioning it at all so far, that would be insane with the physics and the amount of particles they could have for the explosions. If not, they will have to make it heavily multithreaded and extremely well optimised to have the CPU able to process all of that damage, and all of the rest of the stuff going on too.

I want there to be realistic balistics too, which there isn't, as we have seen from the gameplay videos. Hopefully it will be fully implemented, or they will release dev tools and someone makes a realism mod (looks at BSS and crosses fingers :D)

mihir

VIP Member
If they enable Physx, which I don't think will happen because of them not mentioning it at all so far, that would be insane with the physics and the amount of particles they could have for the explosions. If not, they will have to make it heavily multithreaded and extremely well optimised to have the CPU able to process all of that damage, and all of the rest of the stuff going on too.

Mmm Tasty that would be.

I hope I like this game since I think I have out grown FPS. :(
I hope there is something different about the gameplay,because most of the FPS games I just borrow checkout the graphics and detailing and complete a mission and then just uninstall. :(

:gun:
I have never used this smiley.

Aastii

VIP Member
I think the reason for that is that they are all the same. The only thing that differs is graphics and sounds. They are all arcadey, on small maps, with unrealistic weapons, sounds, gameplay, everything.

Now the guns aren't realistic here, nor are the sounds, but the scale, if they make it like BF2 size wise, will be, and with that and the squad based gameplay, if you play with some people who take it seriously, it will make those unrealistic elements moot. That was what made it so fun for me in the first place, the fact that BF2 was squad and team based, where as CoD is just get on and do it yourself. The only time it isn't like that is during matches, which are the most fun and enjoyable games I've had