bcdedit confusion

subtle

How does the bcdedit works? I'm lost with it.
Here is what I've done.
I've installed XP Pro on C: and then Vista x86 on D: and Vista was default OS.
Then I installed Vista x64 on E: and I changed to Vista x86 as a default OS (it changed to x64 automatically).
Now my HDD looks like that:
C: Vista x86
D: Vista x64
E: XP Pro
I also noticed that when I'm installing something under Viste x86 it installs on D: drive (where x64 is located). I'm a little bit confused here...

Also if I want to remove x64 would that affect x86 (since it looks like all SW installs on x64 drive)?

Here is my bcdedit:
cmd.jpg

PC eye

banned
First of all there's a far easier method available for substitution of the BCDediting tool. That would be the EasyBCD tool. The latest 1.7.1 release is available at http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

When booted in one edition that will appear as the C automatically. If XP was added later rather then already being installed that would become D when you booted into that version. The 64bit edition has now become the default OS even while not necessarily the default boot OS currently set simply by being the last edition installed.

The EasyBCD can configure things like the default boot OS, the time the boot options screen remains displayed, and other things like even renaming the entries. If you remove the 64bit edition you would likely need to boot up with the 32bit edition's installation disk to see the automatic startup repair tool used if the 32bit edition doesn't boot up on it's own. You are working with the 64bit edition's boot loader presently.