Beep sound from New-built computer!

HawkWhispah

Hi!

I've been building My first computer this weekend, and I finally finished and wanted to start it.
The screen doesn't show anything except from a startup text, then nothing. That might be another problem (not sure if I plugged everything in right or what).

But what's worrying me is The beeping sound it makes when I start it, and it goes on for a while, then it stopps (and nothing on the screen).

The Beep is for less than half a second, then about 2 seconds until The next beep. (Sounds like it comes from The power supply, but I don't know much about that.

VIDEO ON YOUTUBE:

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Can't hear the beeps in the video.

Check your motherboard manual for the POST beep codes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What motherboard do you have? It's a continuing 1 long beep. Did you use the standoffs between motherboard and case?

HawkWhispah

What motherboard do you have? It's a continuing 1 long beep. Did you use the standoffs between motherboard and case?

My Motherboard is; MSI Z270 Gaming PRO Carbon!
And I didn't use The standoffs that came with! I don't know very much, But I'd say the case have preinstalled standoffs! (Case: Deepcool Tesseract) And the motherboard fit well with the IO Shield!
I will look more deeply into The motherboard!
Thank you very much for your answer!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell if that case has raised standoffs or not. It looks like the metal actually goes in instead of sticking out. You can try building it outside of the case to verify that its not shorting out against anything. I bet it is.

HawkWhispah

I can't tell if that case has raised standoffs or not. It looks like the metal actually goes in instead of sticking out. You can try building it outside of the case to verify that its not shorting out against anything. I bet it is.

Right! Thank you very much, you're very kind! I'll check it out and see if that Maybe it!

AlienMenace

The instruction says that you have to install the standoffs. Sometimes cases come with 1 standoff in place, most of the times not. Silly question? You did read the case instructions, right.

HawkWhispah

The instruction says that you have to install the standoffs. Sometimes cases come with 1 standoff in place, most of the times not. Silly question? You did read the case instructions, right.
Ah yes! You see, My case (Deepcool Tesseract) came with all 9 standoffs installed that I needed! Got me confused since I tried to install the standoffs that i got with the motherboard for quite some time. Derp. But it wouldn't work. So I continued without installing them, and it worked fine, well, at least I thought so. Now I'm not sure. Will look at those instructions again!
Thank you for replying!

_Pete_

For those of you who say they cannot hear the beeps the noise is not the sort of beep that we would normally associate with a BIOS memory type beep. If you turn the volume up there is a low, what I would call a buzz, at intervals of a couple of seconds. I would go along with the stand off shorting theory or at least something shutting down the power supply.

HawkWhispah

For those of you who say they cannot hear the beeps the noise is not the sort of beep that we would normally associate with a BIOS memory type beep. If you turn the volume up there is a low, what I would call a buzz, at intervals of a couple of seconds. I would go along with the stand off shorting theory or at least something shutting down the power supply.
Ahh so not using standoffs really can ruin a buttload then? Tho I'm pretty sure I'm using all the standoffs, I will look and see what I can find!
Thanks alot!

_Pete_

Yep not using all the standoffs or putting them in the wrong places can cause shorts. But so can a lot of other things. The noise that I can hear on your video sounds like the power supply is shutting down then coming on again and then shutting down etc etc. Being that you have just built this PC checking the standoffs would be a first course of action and, hopefully, that would be the problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The noise that I can hear on your video sounds like the power supply is shutting down then coming on again and then shutting down
The psu isn't shutting down, otherwise you would see lights and fans go off and turn back on. No change in speed or anything. I just think there is no system speaker attached to header but you still hear a muffled sound.

_Pete_

The psu isn't shutting down, otherwise you would see lights and fans go off and turn back on. No change in speed or anything. I just think there is no system speaker attached to header but you still hear a muffled sound.

Well that would depend on which part of the power supply is shutting down. But as your comment and this reply is not going to help the OP and, as a moderator/administrator, you seem to like dissing my posts, I will now butt out and leave you, quite obviously, much cleverer people to sort the OP out.

HawkWhispah

Thanks a bunch for your comments! I've managed to come a long way! Installed windows, but now The only problem is that my Hard Drive doesn't want to show up (and something with The drive light have been a problem before, have relocated some cables, un-plugged and plugged in again, and now i don't have the beep that I Now believe came from The HDD...is that a thing?
I've gone to diskmanagement and so to look for The disk, But nothing

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well that would depend on which part of the power supply is shutting down. But as your comment and this reply is not going to help the OP and, as a moderator/administrator, you seem to like dissing my posts, I will now butt out and leave you, quite obviously, much cleverer people to sort the OP out.

o_O How do you call that dissing your posts? My god dude. I'm just saying all I hear is a muffled bios beep, probably because he doesn't have a system speaker attached. And I don't get how you think the power supply is shutting down.
Thanks a bunch for your comments! I've managed to come a long way! Installed windows, but now The only problem is that my Hard Drive doesn't want to show up (and something with The drive light have been a problem before, have relocated some cables, un-plugged and plugged in again, and now i don't have the beep that I Now believe came from The HDD...is that a thing?
I've gone to diskmanagement and so to look for The disk, But nothing
Do you have 2 drives in your system? If you have installed windows on the only drive and now it doesn't show up, you definitely have some issues. Are you talking about the hdd activity light? The hdd led cable must be plugged into the correct motherboard header and oriented the correct way. If its turned the wrong way it won't light up.

HawkWhispah

o_O How do you call that dissing your posts? My god dude. I'm just saying all I hear is a muffled bios beep, probably because he doesn't have a system speaker attached. And I don't get how you think the power supply is shutting down.

Do you have 2 drives in your system? If you have installed windows on the only drive and now it doesn't show up, you definitely have some issues. Are you talking about the hdd activity light? The hdd led cable must be plugged into the correct motherboard header and oriented the correct way. If its turned the wrong way it won't light up.
Well, yea! Got an HDD SATA and one M.2 SSD!
And I have Windows installed on the SSD.

Feel like I've tried everything. Changed port, different settings in BIOS, But still says "Not Present" at The port The HDD is attached

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the bios detects the hard drive then its just a matter of going into disk management and creating a partition on the drive so the computer can see it.