Begginer... need some help

Dasani

1st I guess I'll introduce myself. I'm Aaron and I am from Alabama. My friends and I enjoy Xbox/computer gaming. I have been wanting a desktop for my room for a while now. I currently play an online multiplayer game (MMORPG) called Runescape. I would like a gaming computer, but it doesn't have to be like "$5000 alienware" stuff. We currently have a very very cheap emachines laptop and a 7 year old desktop. Now when I play Runescape on them they lag like crazy. The screen will freeze, it goes slow/flashes when I open 1 new tab, and on the laptop, I randomly lose connection. So I am looking for a desktop (went with desktop b/c I think it would be cheaper than a laptop) that can handle me playing runescape with minimum-no lag/freeze, allow me to play in fullscreen HD, and also be able to listen to music/watch vids on youtube, or look up guides and whatnot withought spazing out.
I have been looking at ibuypower.com and have found mixed reviews on them. Would it be better to build a desktop online or buy a cheap Acer or something and upgrade it?

I want an HD moniter. I would like an intel core processor. A 4gb memory, not sure on what kind of graphics card. O, and at least a 13" monitor.
If you know of any places where I can buy computers/accesories, please tell me.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

computeruler

Just get a used 775 dual core and motherboard, and you only need 2gb of ram. Oh and make sure the motherboard has onboard. And good luck getting a 13" 1920x1080 monitor.

jhooga

please get a monitor larger than 13" and besides your not gonna find one in HD. You can get a 20" HD for like $100 if not less than that

Dasani

Thanks for replies. Using ibuypower I was estimating $800+ plus shipped.

As for building it, that sounds like a great idea. Are there any good threads showing how to do this? I would love for it to be under $600 haha.
What skills are needed to build? Like soldering, cutting, bending, etc.?
What all would I need to build?
So far I know I will need:
3gb memory
fans
mother board with onboard
intel core processor
ati graphics card
450w (+) power supply
20"+ monitor

What brands would you guys reccomend? What else do I need for a build?

thanks for replies so far

Dasani

O wow sorry haha. I overlook things easily.

So I have been looking around and like this case:
http://www.xoxide.com/xoxide-alien-x-case.html

I am very confused on motherboards. I need to that can support Intel Core processor, and my budget is around $150 for one.
I am still confused on which processor to get. Core duo, i3,5,7?
Ummm graphics card...probably gonna go with ATI. Been looking around and this one looks nice:
ATI 100-505552 FirePro V3750 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

For memory...ummm what about Patriot gaming series 2x2gb?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220468

I may be sounding stupid saying all this stuff. I am still confused on what can go with what.
Anyways thanks for the help so far :)

Last edited:

Survive

ATX motherboards can be either Intel or AMD. Also there are a huge number of things that could be making his laptop slow - I wouldn't trash AMD for just that reason alone. Everything I've read lately says they are comparable to Intel for a fraction of the cost... I'm no expert tho :) Here is some reading material - Intel is faster but look at the prices! For the same amount of money AMD wins. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
For the other questions someone else will have a better answer than I could give you I'm sure!

FuryRosewood

you dont want a 'workstation' card, you want a radeon series or a geforce series card, no quadros or firegl cards, those are for heavy duty rendering, not gaming...i dont know why people brag about gaming on those, its effing stupid.

in your price range honestly id recommend a radeon 5770 for gpu, a amd athlon ii x4 640 for a cpu, a amd 870 or 880 based board, 2x2 gig of ddr3 ram of your choice, and stuff it in a antec 300 illusion case, psu...eh im partial to corsair around 600 watts would be overkill, hdd and dvd drive..WD and sony nec optiarc would probably put everything in the ballpark of 600 bucks, but you also need to figure in an OS

Last edited:

Dasani

you dont want a 'workstation' card, you want a radeon series or a geforce series card, no quadros or firegl cards, those are for heavy duty rendering, not gaming...i dont know why people brag about gaming on those, its effing stupid.

in your price range honestly id recommend a radeon 5770 for gpu, a amd athlon ii x4 640 for a cpu, a amd 870 or 880 based board, 2x2 gig of ddr3 ram of your choice, and stuff it in a antec 300 illusion case, psu...eh im partial to corsair around 600 watts would be overkill, hdd and dvd drive..WD and sony nec optiarc would probably put everything in the ballpark of 600 bucks, but you also need to figure in an OS

Seems like antec is a popular choice. I think I'll go with the 300 illusion.
Would the Crosair 550w ATXx12v V2.2 be ok for a power supply?
The GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard comes with a Radeon HD 4250. Should I upgrade that to a 5770? I looked at 5770's and there are lots of them. Any favorites or recommendations?
ddr3 ram- Patriot Gaming series 2x2gb
CPU's...rawr... Phenom II X2 or Anthlon ii x4 640?

Sony Optiarc 18x dvd-rom

Am I missing anything?
Will I need to add anymore fans?

FuryRosewood

550W to me would be in the ballpark, i think you would be fine, and if you were going to want threads, id say go with four. dont do a dual core, and no need for fans, the case is loaded full, you should be ok there.

if you plan to do any gaming, upgrade the gpu, otherwise id just run onboard graphics

dont forget your operating system and harddrive

Last edited:

Dasani

I was planning on playing games. Mostly Runescape at the beginning. But I will play some CoD later on, as well as other games like that. So I think I will go with a 5770 gpu to start. Any recommendations? I was thinking about a PowerColor AX5770 1GB Radeon HD.

For the mother board and CPU, I think I will go with an EVGA H55V 111-CD-E630-TR LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with an Intel Core i5 95w quad core processor.

And yes I just remembered the hard drive and was thinking about the operating system. I think I'll go with the $70 Hitachi 1TB hard drive and Windows 7.

As for a monitor, do you have to have a certain gpu with a certain monitor?

Will I need like any kind of chip or something like that to connect to the internet? Or do I just plug in the modem and I good to go?

Any thoughts on these products?

Thanks

Last edited: