Beginner wants to build a comp!

Ridley89

I'm sick of this old piece of junk that keeps stuffing up and I want to build my own comp, now I don't know anything so I need people to suggest stuff I need.

First question though if I don't know anything will I have alot of trouble putting it all together and stuff or is it easy? If somethings are to difficult i'll get someone else to install them.

If I build the comp for mainly gaming will I still be able to use it for the internet, word and everyday things on the comp?

So main purpose I want it for is gaming, Now I don't want to go to extreme would love to build it below $1000 (I'm in Australia, don't know where you's all are).

Now I need everyone to suggest every little thing I would need that will fit somewhere near my budget the only games I really play are like dawn of war and red alert stuff but would want to play other types like first person shooters and everything if I could.

Would I be able to use my old case which is like over 3 years old?

So if you's could suggest every little thing I would need to meet my budget and still have decent graphics and stuff would be awsome.

I just need everyone to suggest the parts so I can just go into the computer store and tell them what I want.

Thanks to everyone who replies and if you's have any other questions I need to answer before you can suggest stuff feel free to ask.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
If you read http://www.computerforum.com/16363-building-computers-101-a.html the your fine.

In my opinion, building an computer is easier than giving an car an oil change.

Australia you say? I can't really help you there as I don't live in Au and have no idea what sites it is, or the $ translation.

If your case is big enough and is an ATX type, then yes you can probably use it.

What do you use the computer for? Gaming? Web? Email?

b3rt_d4ni3l

I'm in US so I am not sure which online retail store is the best to buy from in AU price-wise. However, I could give you a general guideline as to what parts you want to look at if you are building a gaming computer. From there you could look around to get the pricing.

Guideline:
Motherboard
Get something like GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L or GA-P35-DS3R if you are only going to be using 1 graphic card. If you might plan to use 2 graphic cards, try looking for motherboard with 680i chipset.

Processor
Go for Intel processor since they are the leader in performance for now. You can go for Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 for future-proofness or Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 if the quad is pushing your budget.

Power Supply
Get a power supply with at least 600W. People generally recommend the Corsair 620HX. However, if you are using 2 graphic cards you might need to up the PSU to like 700W to make sure that your computer have enough power.

Graphic Card
Lately, for a gaming computer, GeForce 8800 series is what people use for their build. Get the 8800GTX. But if that is breaking your budget, try getting the 8800GTS either the 640MB or 320MB, whichever suits your budget.

Case
This part I will leave it up to you since it is more of a personal taste. But make sure that you case is at least a mid tower or a full tower so that your graphic card can fit in. Also make sure that the casee you choose have a good air flow so that your computer does not overheat easily.

Burners
Again this one I leave it up to you whether you want LightScribe ability or not. But definitely get a DVD burner (it should be able to burn CD too). The speed is either 20x or 18x.

RAM
Get at least 2GB (2x1GB) of DDR2 800. The brand people use are usually Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill

OS
Not sure whether you already have this one. This again I will leave it up to you to choose Vista or XP. Keep in mind that 32-bit OS can only support up to 3GB of RAM so fi you are planning to buy 4GB or more, get the 64-bit OS.

Hard Drive
Size is up to you but it should be at least around 250GB or more. You don't really need the 10,000RPM drive in my opinion (7200RPM is fine).

Sound Card
Get the Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card. At least that is what some people use for their gaming build.

Heatsink Fans
This one is not really necessary if you buy your processor retail since it is included in the package. However, it is a good investment if you want to keep your processor cooler because sometimes the stock heatsink does not work up to the standard for some people. If you are going to be using an aftermarket heatsink, make sure you buy Thermal Paste. Use Arctic Silver 5 for best result.

Monitor
Not sure whether you need this one. So I will leave this one for you to decide.

Keyboard & Mouse
I will leave this one up to you.

Speakers
Another one that I will leave it up to you. :D

Thats it. I hope I didn't miss anything. :p

Hope this helps. :)

daisymtc

I'm in US so I am not sure which online retail store is the best to buy from in AU price-wise. However, I could give you a general guideline as to what parts you want to look at if you are building a gaming computer. From there you could look around to get the pricing.

Guideline:
Motherboard
Get something like GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L or GA-P35-DS3R if you are only going to be using 1 graphic card. If you might plan to use 2 graphic cards, try looking for motherboard with 680i chipset.

Processor
Go for Intel processor since they are the leader in performance for now. You can go for Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 for future-proofness or Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 if the quad is pushing your budget.

Power Supply
Get a power supply with at least 600W. People generally recommend the Corsair 620HX. However, if you are using 2 graphic cards you might need to up the PSU to like 700W to make sure that your computer have enough power.

Graphic Card
Lately, for a gaming computer, GeForce 8800 series is what people use for their build. Get the 8800GTX. But if that is breaking your budget, try getting the 8800GTS either the 640MB or 320MB, whichever suits your budget.

Case
This part I will leave it up to you since it is more of a personal taste. But make sure that you case is at least a mid tower or a full tower so that your graphic card can fit in. Also make sure that the casee you choose have a good air flow so that your computer does not overheat easily.

Burners
Again this one I leave it up to you whether you want LightScribe ability or not. But definitely get a DVD burner (it should be able to burn CD too). The speed is either 20x or 18x.

RAM
Get at least 2GB (2x1GB) of DDR2 800. The brand people use are usually Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill

OS
Not sure whether you already have this one. This again I will leave it up to you to choose Vista or XP. Keep in mind that 32-bit OS can only support up to 3GB of RAM so fi you are planning to buy 4GB or more, get the 64-bit OS.

Hard Drive
Size is up to you but it should be at least around 250GB or more. You don't really need the 10,000RPM drive in my opinion (7200RPM is fine).

Sound Card
Get the Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card. At least that is what some people use for their gaming build.

Heatsink Fans
This one is not really necessary if you buy your processor retail since it is included in the package. However, it is a good investment if you want to keep your processor cooler because sometimes the stock heatsink does not work up to the standard for some people. If you are going to be using an aftermarket heatsink, make sure you buy Thermal Paste. Use Arctic Silver 5 for best result.

Monitor
Not sure whether you need this one. So I will leave this one for you to decide.

Keyboard & Mouse
I will leave this one up to you.

Speakers
Another one that I will leave it up to you. :D

Thats it. I hope I didn't miss anything. :p

Hope this helps. :)

AUS$1000 = approx US$900
So I think 8800GTX is not a option. And probably not enough for sound card.

b3rt_d4ni3l

AUS$1000 = approx US$900
So I think 8800GTX is not a option. And probably not enough for sound card.

aahhh... I see... If that is the case, then I would say, 8600?
or go towards ATI which I am not familiar hence I cannot make a suggestion. :p

daisymtc

aahhh... I see... If that is the case, then I would say, 8600?
or go towards ATI which I am not familiar hence I cannot make a suggestion. :p

8600GTS or 2600XT may be...
But don't know how much more expensive is the PC component in AUS than in US...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
$900 could get your around an:

P31-DS3L
Q6600
Any cheap case
8800GTS 640MB Pci-e x16
520HX/620HX/700W OCZ
GeIL 4GB (2x of an kit)

Around that. Should be an great system :D

Ridley89

This is what i've got let me know how it is:

Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3L - $150
Processor: Q6600 - $250
Graphics: 8800GTS - $350
Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer - $170
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800 - $150
Power: 620Hx - $170

That works out to about $1300 is there anything I can change but not lose to much performance or anything or is that a good setup?

Violent 777

Drop the sound card, and you wont need such a big power supply. Get a CoolerMaster eXtreme 430W which would run your system just fine. It is about $60 AUD. Which would mean that you would be at your $1000 mark. But if you really are a HARDCORE gamer, then you could stay with the sound card, otherwise onboard sound should be fine. Good luck with your build.

shenry

If your stuck where to buy things from or want to get things cheaper go to staticice.com.au it compares tons of online prices for Australia from Australia. It helped me get my PSU for a price I liked.

Ridley89

Drop the sound card, and you wont need such a big power supply. Get a CoolerMaster eXtreme 430W which would run your system just fine. It is about $60 AUD. Which would mean that you would be at your $1000 mark. But if you really are a HARDCORE gamer, then you could stay with the sound card, otherwise onboard sound should be fine. Good luck with your build.

ok no worries might drop the sound card out then and get a cheaper powr supply.