BenchMark

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Can anyone tell me what the term benchmark refers to.

It's when you check your system for performance video,audio,cpu,etc.

Can someone also tell me what the numbers represent in the chart on the following webpage:

depends on what ones your talking about ;-).. if it's the ones above the first picture then they are FPS at diff. resolutions compared to other vid cards.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
what about latency...lower the better?

yup

Also as far as FPS goes it actualy changes physics in some games like Quake 1,2,3 the higher FPS you have the further you can jump and do tricks like climb walls with the plasma gun and such. Although I've noticed too high an fps is bad :) . I set mine too 500 fps for quake3 and even though it was not constant it still reached it often but this made the screen very laggy.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
most games of course dont let you. That said :). Quake 3's console command is /com_maxfps (number)

Of course the number of frames you get will be limited to the power of your video card.

Last edited:

smadge

blue said:
Although I've noticed too high an fps is bad . I set mine too 500 fps for quake3 and even though it was not constant it still reached it often but this made the screen very laggy.
thats different. :) the fps benchmarks are based off how the gfx card performs smoothly. raising it like thats completely different.

P11

VIP Member
would my benchmark score on 3DMark increase if i got a cpu AMD 3200+ 64Bit, 1024 DDR RAM ?

BTW my score is 2304

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
would my benchmark score on 3DMark increase if i got a cpu AMD 3200+ 64Bit, 1024 DDR RAM ?

BTW my score is 2304

Yes it would but not alot. 3DMark benches mainly the graphics card. Although cpu and such is also benchmarked it wont make a world of difference with the benchmark but will for games.

P11

VIP Member
i just ran a test on 3DMark 03 PRO with my deafault clock settings Standard (2D) : 270/400 and my mark was 1479 and then i ran it on Overclocked Performance (3D): 324/474 and i got a score of 1646.....why is that? and i also want to know that when i overclock my video card do i keep the mem mhz at stock and raise gpu until i see artifacts and then lower gpu to stock settings and raise the mem mhz until and i see artifacts then -10mhz from both and combine them?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
just ran a test on 3DMark 03 PRO with my deafault clock settings Standard (2D) : 270/400 and my mark was 1479 and then I ran it on Overclocked Performance (3D): 324/474 and I got a score of 1646.....why is that?
why is what??

and I also want to know that when I overclock my video card do I keep the mem mhz at stock and raise gpu until I see artifacts and then lower gpu to stock settings and raise the mem mhz until and I see artifacts then -10mhz from both and combine them?
Do whatever you want (no seriously :p) ... you can do either really (or a combination of them both) :) With videocards, memory is typically the more difficult thing to OC

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
It's higher of course because you've overclocked your video card ;-).. 3DMark is a benchmark which is basicly a measurement of your performance...

You have overclocked your video card and therefore raised the performance of your video card therefore raising your 3DMark score :)..

P11

VIP Member
yes i know that but why is it only 200 marks ???? most increases ive seen are 500-1000

P11

VIP Member
I also want to know if i get a Thermaltake Giant Extreme III and mount it on my Geforce FX 5500 will i be able to overclock it alot higher?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
yes i know that but why is it only 200 marks ???? most increases ive seen are 500-1000

Ahhhhhh I get it, sorry. Hmmmmm you've seen increases of 500-1000? it takes alot to get marks that much higher above what you'd get at normal speeds. where they also the same video card as yours?

Also many things will raise your score rather then just overclocking your video card although overclocking the videocard gives the greatest impact... Other things would be general speed tweaks for your machine will give you a small increase in your 3dmark score.