Best ~$100 Video Card

ztrain727

Hi Everyone,

Long time no post....

Anyway, I have a 7900gt KO right now with aftermarket Zalman cooling, but I think my card might be one of the bad 7900's because I've started getting artifacting even in old games like CS:S (and I mean serious artifacting, like lines shooting out of guy's heads and bars across the sky.) I'm going to apply some fresh thermal paste, but still, I want to upgrade.

SO, what should I get. I have a $100 budget, but that can be stretched of course. I would say max of $130, ideally $120 or below.

I hope to get at least $60 for my 7900gt w/ heatsink

What I've considered:

8800gt, EVGA for $115 shipped - Ebay

9600gt, $100 shipped newegg (I read the thread on 9600gt vs 8800gt)

9800gt (not gonna get it)

Radeon 4850 (out of my budget)

I've only ever used Nvidia, but I am open to using ATI if the performance/price ratio is better.

Anything else I could consider. I'm definitely leaning toward the 8800gt, but I wanted to double check, especially since I don't know ATI cards.

I either want to buy right away, or wait a few months.

Thanks a lot!

Ethan3.14159

if you can get the 8800gt i would go with that, the 9600gt would be a good second choice but it's not as good as the 8800gt

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you're going SLi then I would get the 9600GT, but if you're going to stick with one card, the 8800GT is a better choice.

Vizy

The 8800gt is the best card up there right now. The 9600gt is also a great card, slipping right behind the 8800gt.

ztrain727

Thanks everyone!

Those were the responses I was expecting and hoping for.
My motherboard only has one PCI-e x16 slot, so I'm definitely not going SLI.
I've always wanted an 8800gt, so I guess I'll finally get one.

To double check, there isn't a similarly priced ATI card with better specs right? (really want to be sure)

Lastly, any brand recommendations?

I've only used EVGA so far and I think they're great, plus the deal I found is for an EVGA card, but I've heard PNY, XFX and some others are good, so I'll do some research.

Also, is it stupid to pay for an OC'd edition? Can't you just get a standard clocked card and OC it yourself (assuming you purchase proper cooling)?

Thanks

jdbennet

the 8600 is basically a directx 10 7900, in terms of performance, so it wouldnt be much of an upgrade. They are cheap though.

The 8800 is a great card and cheap now due to the 9 series being released.

Ethan3.14159

I would recommend the Zotac 8800GT AMP! Edition. It's $5 more than the regular edition, and comes overclocked 700/2000 over 600/1800 standard. It also has an overclocked shader clock. And the closest thing to the 8800GT in terms of ATI would be the 4850. It more closely resembles the 9800GTX, and it costs around $180.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500006

the closest thing ati has to the 8800gt is the 3870 the 4850 is the counter to the 9800gtx which it beats. and paying more for and oc'ed card isn't very smart as you can use ntune to overclock the card.

ztrain727

Thanks guys -

I'm just waiting for a good deal on eBay, then I'll strike.

8800gt it is, probably not an OC'd edition, dual slot if I can find a deal (1 went for $122 two days ago on ebay).

Thanks

kookooshortman55

Well the overclocked edition comes with a bigger fan. So it runs slower and moves more air. Even just knowing it's stable that high is worth $6 to me. Also has a metal case so it dissipates heat faster. I mean I guess you could overclock a regular card that high but for $6 less why bother.

ztrain727

Thanks a lot!
A few final questions...

Is the 3870 better than the 8800gt? And especially since I've never heard of that brand, I'm a bit concerned (plus it's a power hog...)
EDIT: Don't think I'm going to get the 3870 - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=703&p=8

For the 8800gt, I'm waiting for THIS action. Is Asus a good brand? It looks like the fan on the Asus is better than that on the EVGA non-OC'd.

tknick90,
As for the EVGA, THIS is a better deal, though it doesn't come in a retail box, which is sketchy.

If the Asus goes for more than $115, I'll buy that EVGA for $115.

Last edited:

ztrain727

Thanks jdbennet! Not going to get the powercolor.

What about the Asus vs. EVGA?

Which would be better stock?

kookooshortman55

I think you would have to go the specific card to answer that. They use the exact same chip so there's not really that much comparison. Do you have a specific Asus card vs. EVGA card?