Best alternative to FFox, Chrome, IE?

Dimitri

I'm looking for an alternative to FF, Chrome and IE.

I'm running Win XP, so I can't have any of the recent versions of IE, nor Brave (if that's even out yet).

I'm the kind of guy who can get above 600 tabs so my main concern is that it handles memory well and doesn't start falling apart when you get up to a huge number of tabs.

So what alternatives are out there?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All you can do is search online for whats available, which isn't much. I think Firefox is the only one that supports XP anymore. Even the newer version of Opera only supports windows 7 and higher. Sooner or later, you'll have to move off XP. Why are you wanting to stay on XP so bad?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Of the "majors" I think Opera is the only one that still issues updates for XP and Vista. You might be able to find some fringe browser out there but if upgrading isn't an option opera is probably your best bet.

Dimitri

All you can do is search online for whats available, which isn't much. I think Firefox is the only one that supports XP anymore. Even the newer version of Opera only supports windows 7 and higher. Sooner or later, you'll have to move off XP. Why are you wanting to stay on XP so bad?

I don't want to update because its too much of a hassle given how I have everything set up and, outside of the browser stuff, everything works great.

Also I have my GUI very fine tuned because I sit very far from my monitor and so I have to have it modified in a way where fonts are made very big in everything and to customize all that over again in another OS would be a pain.

Calin

Also I have my GUI very fine tuned because I sit very far from my monitor and so I have to have it modified in a way where fonts are made very big in everything and to customize all that over again in another OS would be a pain.
Just set the scaling to max and zoom in on websites.
XP was a great OS. If someone would make a mod that brings DX12 to XP (I know, it's almost impossible) I would actually go back to it :p

lucasbytegenius

You could give K-Meleon a try, it's pretty terrible though, being Gecko-based and all. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/

Other than that, unless you upgrade from XP, you're just going to get more and and more screwed in terms of software dropping support. I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade already.

Dimitri

Oh God you're one of THOSE people.....

Which people?

Just set the scaling to max and zoom in on websites.
XP was a great OS. If someone would make a mod that brings DX12 to XP (I know, it's almost impossible) I would actually go back to it :p

When you say scaling you mean DPI?

Does that stuff work?

I tried it in the earliest version of Windows it came in, I think it was Vista, and it didn't work well, because in Windows you'd have text flowing out of boxes and with programs the GUI would be unaffected.

You could give K-Meleon a try, it's pretty terrible though, being Gecko-based and all. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/

Other than that, unless you upgrade from XP, you're just going to get more and and more screwed in terms of software dropping support. I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade already.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

beers

Staff member

strollin

I can't even imagine a scenario where it would make sense to have 600 tabs open at the same time. What purpose does this solve? I'm the type that closes tabs when I'm not reading that page now, then reopens it again later since it takes only a brief moment to reopen. I only keep tabs open that I am actively using. How could someone actively use 600 tabs at once? Please enlighten me.

lucasbytegenius

I can't even imagine a scenario where it would make sense to have 600 tabs open at the same time. What purpose does this solve? I'm the type that closes tabs when I'm not reading that page now, then reopens it again later since it takes only a brief moment to reopen. I only keep tabs open that I am actively using. How could someone actively use 600 tabs at once? Please enlighten me.
My mother does this, I'm still trying to figure out why as well. Her reasoning is "I have so much stuff to read and if I bookmark it I will never find it again!" because of 12 years of bookmarks :rolleyes:
It's just pure laziness is what it is. No one can actively use 600 tabs at once.

Origin Saint

I'm running Win XP
I won't be getting off XP, so lets take that as the premise.
Found the problem....

Seriously though. XP supports 4GB RAM max, something that gets utilized quickly these days, even if all you're doing is web browsing. Not to mention XP support has been officially dropped and most other third party developers have quick developing and supporting it as well.

I'm the kind of guy who can get above 600 tabs so my main concern is that it handles memory well and doesn't start falling apart when you get up to a huge number of tabs.
What in the actual, flying, other-worldly frack are you doing on that machine? NO ONE should ever be using 600 tabs. Period. Doesn't matter the OS or the browser. Bookmarks exist. Use them.

I don't want to update because its too much of a hassle given how I have everything set up and, outside of the browser stuff, everything works great.

By the time you figure out this browser issue you'd already have invested more time than just setting up the updated OS. ;)

Dude. I get it. XP was great. Change is scary. You've got your stuff set up the way you like it. So on and so on. But it's 2016 and support has completely stopped for XP at this point.

It's seriously time to shit or get off the pot. Either buck up, and stop using a ridiculous number of tabs, and stop complaining of issues with a essentially deprecated OS; OR get with the times, and move on. It won't be that impossible to set everything up again.

The only thing stopping you from fixing your problem here, is you. Staying with XP for these reasons, given the "requirements" you have for your machine usage, makes zero sense.