Best AM4 picks for an R5 1600?

Here is the latest version of my build:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Kingston - Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Now, the reason I'd consider another motherboard is because I've heard some bad things about this particular board's BIOS update hickups, also because I may not be aware of some other choices.

I'd consider boards in the $100 range, I like plenty of USB ports. I may overclock the CPU, but I'd like to set it to 3.7GHz and just forget about it. Stock cooler seems fine to me.

So... looking at the above specs, what other motherboards could you recommend?

As a secondary question: 8GB or 16GB of RAM? I may want to cut costs, but I am not sure about this sacrifice.

thanks.

Ciramor

i can't help you a lot on motherboard for me all ASUS or MSI B350 are good enough,
and i think they're rather reactive on BIOS updates so problem will be solved soon i think.
for RAM, i think you can buy 8GB now if you're short on money their is no need for more.
16GB, it's just to be prepare for the next generation of games.
just be careful about memory compatibility on the motherboard you choose

Ciramor

like i said earlier MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte is fine.
but be careful, i see in your list that you have mini ATX motherboard and also A320 and A/B350 chipset. you can't do SLI on those one and they have only 1 PCI-Ex16, so depending on what you're gonna do, you may not be able to do it with those motherboards. you can't overclock your CPU too. i know you're not sure to take 8 or 16GB of ram, if you take 8Gb now ( 2x4Gb), you will not be able to add 8Gb later, because you have only 2 slots, with 32Gb max on those motherboards. you will have to buy another 16Gb ram (2x8Gb). one more thing: their is a limit of 2666MHz compatibility ram on those motherboards. A320 or A/B350 is not a good chipset for gaming or overclocking. you will have to take B350 or X370 chipset for that.
i see that you want a $100 motherboard so go for a B350 motherboard.
Tomahawk is a good choice.
Darren, if you have something to say :)

wow, Thanks, Ciramor. / Darren - that was very informative
About overclocking: I've read that you can overclock even on a B350 chipset.
Yes, I've been thinking about the RAM. I might as well buy 16GB and not think about it. Not worth the headache.
Could it be that the Tomahawk is the winner here? *RAM is supported.

Ciramor

you're welcome.
yeah that's why i say you have to take at least b350 chipset. to be clear you have 4 chipsets (5 in fact but it's the same level than A/B300):
A/B300 overclocked not possible and limited ram
A320 overclocked not possible and limited ram
B350 you can and 4 slots ram
X370 you can and 4 slots ram

X370 it's premium motherboard (not the same price ;) )
tomakawk or other atx B350 is fine i think

Ciramor

you can overclocked on a A/B300 and A320?
ah i see where i made a mistake i say A/B350 instead of A/B300 sorry i will correct it beers

Last edited: