Best Anti-Virus?

Can't really give u a top 5 as I don't know 5 that I have personally tried.

What I can say tho is that AVG wouldn't be in my top 5.

Here are my picks, based on what I have used:

#1 Kaspersky
#2-3 Avast
#2-3 AntiVir
 
AVG used to be my favorite until it started to not agree with steam games. I've only tried 3 and 2 were freeware.
1. avira
2. AVG
3. norton
and norton is the absolute worst I would never use it again even if they paid me to.
 
I would say:

ZoneAlarm Pro
Bit Defender

Both are very effective and run smoothly behind the scenes (they learn from your choices so for the first day or so they are a bit annoying)

I would not recommend

Norton
McAfee

They tend to get in the way a lot and use up system resources. They seem very controlling.

I would still be using ZoneAlarm Pro but it does not work for my 64 bit Vista, but Bit Defender has been doing a great job for me!
 
AVG used to be my favorite until it started to not agree with steam games. I've only tried 3 and 2 were freeware.
1. avira
2. AVG
3. norton
and norton is the absolute worst I would never use it again even if they paid me to.

A number of antivirus programs are noted for seeing problems while gaming. The latest 8.0 now seeing Ewido components as well offering a degree of antispyware protection runs much quietier then the previous 7.5 version. With Steam games run here including some 3rd party mods AVG has never caused any problems whether active or simply exited as generally recommended before a gaming session.

Avast and AntiVir were both given a look and the return to AVG some time back was the obvious here. Norton and McAfee on the other hand are the absolute bottom of the barrel with Norton having a resource hog rep!

1-AVG
2-Nod32
3-Win AntiVIR
4-Avast
 
AVG FTW!

i've used AVG for years now and have never been infected, however i am careful of what websites i go to..
 
Smart browsing is always a plus to start with. But no matter what program you have on you can get always get winged by something. This is why being familiar with several and using more then one to regularly see full system scans keeps the bugs off.
 
I use AVG 8 (free) currently, for a short time I switched over to Avast but I found the user interface in the free version to be somewhat "lacking" (it was like a skin more than a user interface.) Needless to say though both programs didn't cause any slowdown on my computer at all, even with the resident shield and everything running in the background. Also, they updated in the background automatically and didn't bother me at all. I can vouch for either AVG or Avast.
 
Comes down to personal preference really. How everything is organized, interfaces etc.

---Paid---

1. Kaspersky
2. ESET NOD32
3. Avira

These guys are basically ranked the same, again comes down to personal preference.

--Free--

1. AVG (no rookit detection, but there are free alternatives out there against rookits)
2. Avira (good detection rates, but no detection against spyware or emails)
3. Avast (funky interface, which makes it hard to use)
 
--Free--

1. AVG (no rookit detection, but there are free alternatives out there against rookits)

For retail full versions AVG and Trend Micro's antivirus programs are rated high. As far as no rootkit detection?

Important notice

AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Rootkit are no longer available as separate products or downloads. However, these features are still available in new the AVG 8.0 products. Click here to quickly compare the features of our AVG consumer products.
http://free.avg.com/ww.download-avg-anti-spyware-and-anti-rootkit

The latest version now out by Grisoft since they bought out Ewido has seen a rather drastic turn around in doing away with several smaller programs to build more into a few. The latest 8.0 release now sees a new IE security toolbar option that features anti-phising filtering as well as other protections to prevent things from getting on the system in the first place rather then dealing with more removers.
 
Back
Top