Best Antivirus / internet security?

aegino

Some people have said Microsoft security essentials is just as good as many and free.

I've always used Norton... Mine's expiring soon though.

I want overall good, won't slow down the cpu, catches everything, cost effective.

So far I've got them ranked in this order (1) BitDefender, (2) Kaspersky and (3) Norton.

Any insights? Would like to hear what you guys think.

StrangleHold

Staff member
MSE is ok, alot of people here use it and claim it works good, I just dont trust microshaft. lol I use Avast and Superantispyware

Either Avast or MSE and have Malwarebytes as a malware scanner.

I know its insecure... but...

AVG FREE ALL THE WAY

haha... but no, try something better if you have the dosh for it...

And I hate Norton... it nags you to buy it if its bloatware and it just doesn't go away... the older instances on older computers sometimes disabled the close button! Ugh...

Last edited:

dwomack

I've been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus for five years now and have never had the system and/or virus problems that I had with McAfee, Norton and AVG. When running alongside the free version of Malwarebytes, there's no better protection out there.

Hyper-Threaded

All I use is malwarebytes. As long as your smart and dont download free pron you wont get viruses. All I use it for is to scan downloads for malware- viruses. Norton is bloatware garbage. (Try uninstalling it from a computer, a virus is easier, had to do it for my grandmas computer). Why you would pay for a antivirus IDK. My parents use the pay Kaspersky and it sucks, its good protection, but slows your computer down so much. BitDefender, ive never used.

Avast free edition is good, I would use it, but I dont need it, It was on my previous computer and worked fine. And avg free is ok, but not the best. MSE for winXP was good, never tried with win7.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I know its insecure... but...

AVG FREE ALL THE WAY

haha... but no, try something better if you have the dosh for it...

And I hate Norton... it nags you to buy it if its bloatware and it just doesn't go away... the older instances on older computers sometimes disabled the close button! Ugh...

AVG is slow and bloaty.

Avast, MSE, or Kaspersky IMO.

G80FTW

AVG is slow and bloaty.

Avast, MSE, or Kaspersky IMO.

AVG is not bloaty at all.... Iv been using AVG for eons now and never had a problem. My first computer in 2001 had Norton on it and I had tons of problems with that. So once I discovered AVG in about 2005 or so I started using it as a friend recommended it to me and never had a problem since then.

BUT, I have since switched to Microsoft Security Essentials just to see if its any better and so far it does use a LITTLE less resources than AVG and I have had no problems.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive been using Kaspersky Internet Security for a couple of years now,Cant fault it to be honest...never had any viruses or problems since using it. :)

All I use is malwarebytes. As long as your smart and dont download free pron you wont get viruses. All I use it for is to scan downloads for malware- viruses. Norton is bloatware garbage. (Try uninstalling it from a computer, a virus is easier, had to do it for my grandmas computer). Why you would pay for a antivirus IDK. My parents use the pay Kaspersky and it sucks, its good protection, but slows your computer down so much. BitDefender, ive never used.

Avast free edition is good, I would use it, but I dont need it, It was on my previous computer and worked fine. And avg free is ok, but not the best. MSE for winXP was good, never tried with win7.

Well said... what would be good free antivirus no hassle for Windows 8 RP? I have AVG on here at the moment... I need something that has a run on logon option.... and a disable antivirus until next logon when I am on steam... since it runs better and all I play is Team Fortress 2 and GTA San Andreas ^.^

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
AVG is not bloaty at all.... Iv been using AVG for eons now and never had a problem. My first computer in 2001 had Norton on it and I had tons of problems with that. So once I discovered AVG in about 2005 or so I started using it as a friend recommended it to me and never had a problem since then.

BUT, I have since switched to Microsoft Security Essentials just to see if its any better and so far it does use a LITTLE less resources than AVG and I have had no problems.

AVG is by far one of the slower and hoggier ones out there. Iplace it up there with Norton and McAfee

Concordedly

I've been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus for five years now and have never had the system and/or virus problems that I had with McAfee, Norton and AVG. When running alongside the free version of Malwarebytes, there's no better protection out there.

This. ESET. Win. Profit.

Darren

Staff member
Avast and MSE are good. I prefer MSE. Malware Bytes is good to have. CCleaner is helpful but not really AntiVirus. Honestly not being stupid and downloading things you should such as torrents and adult material should keep you okay. Also when you go to download pages think before you click because frequently pages will have ads that look like the download button but will download something you don't want. Be smart and you should be good as well as using a good AntiVirus.

MSE does pair nicely with Windows Firewall and I've had no issues with using it for several months.

G80FTW

AVG is by far one of the slower and hoggier ones out there. Iplace it up there with Norton and McAfee

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I would still recommend avg to anyone. 7 or so years without a virus or any other security problems I think is pretty good.

FrillyBits