Best Antivirus / internet security?

Okedokey

AVG Free, read the Licence Agreement. They can legally infect your machine with viruses to work out how they work. Windows Security Essentials. Thats the best FREE one.

Conflation at its best.

AVG is by far one of the slower and hoggier ones out there. Iplace it up there with Norton and McAfee

evidence? If anything MSE is considered bloaty:

The bottom line: Microsoft Security Essentials 2 will protect you, and it will generally do it well. However, its impact on system performance could be improved, and it's still a bit light in the tool belt.
CNET

Windows Security Essentials is a re-hack of at a Microsoft Security application for the third or fourth time. OneCare, Windows Defender and now Microsoft Security Essentials.

MS's first few attempts were disastrous. In fact most reviews at the time slammed it for its high false negatives and low false positive detection. In other words it did very well at missing the stuff that matters and annoyingly made you frequently aware of shit that didn't.

Then MS purchased more IP (GIANT AntiSpyware) and rebadged it. MS has no idea about the security game.

AVG isn't bloated in the slightest, but im a convert to Avast. Does what it says on the tin.

Last edited:

linux992

I've tried Avast after reading about it on here a long while ago. I haven't had any problems and recommend it to my friends and family.

2048Megabytes

I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes to combat malicious software. I then re-clone my hard drive every six months as well.

For those of you who do not use hard drive cloning you are missing out. My last hard drive clone took about twenty minutes. What takes the longest is merely backing up valuable data.

Last time I got possibly infected was about six months ago. I was looking for a hard drive scanning tool and by mistake picked the wrong website. After that happened I re-cloned my hard drive again.

cracker2

I'm looking for one that doesn't use much space.I use avast internet security.Its good but,has extras idc to use.For some reason I got to disable it to get internet when I login,turn it back on & its fine.It also blocks divx streams,works when I disable avast.

I have divx & ff set to allow all connections,didn't fix either.Went to safe & did the whole 9 yards on scans(mb,tds,avast,hijack etc.),i'm clean.I want to try out one of these.
Comodo
Bit defender
Zone alarm
I'm best off with the basic lines since that uses least resources most likely.Although I like the Keylogger/Screengrabber Jamming feature on ZoneAlarm Extreme Security.

claptonman

Not everything!!! lol

I meant to say as a normal user. If you're really bad at downloading all the game managers and toolbars, and other "free" programs... then maybe not.

Reminds me, today at work we had this laptop with a 65GB C partition and only 1GB left on it. Ccleaner found 25.8GB worth of junk files. Had quite a few rootkits/trojans on it, too.

novicegeek

I had Norton's too. It took a lot of memory, so I switched to MSE. Unfortunately, soon thereafter, I got a virus. I dropped MSE and went with our cable provider's virus protection (F-Secure). It eats up its share of memory too, but so far, no virus - that I'm aware of.

oct562

In my own experience, Norton and AVG used to slowdown computers dramatically, but this was 7-10 years ago. That made me stay away from them.

I have heard Norton is not longer that heavy on Wndows, but I still have to prove that, but once you have a bad experience with something, you ask yourself, Why use it again when there are many options out there?

I have used ZA for years without issues, but now I want explore other options. May be I am bored because no matter what I run, I get nothing, LOL. Also, having to pay another $40 for 3 PC's makes me check other suites.

Still undecided what to do. For regular users, any AV + Firewall will be ok, but it is not my case.

rasynomarlo

Antivirus software plays an important role in protecting our computer system from various types of viruses and worms. There are several antivirus programs available in market but according to me, Avast is the best antivirus among all as it has many impressive features and also protects our pc from different kind of malware functions or viruses.

ayan

I use the free version of the avast, and i've never had any problems. Of course, I didn't download wildly any kind of free software that shows up on website ads, but still, i've had some encounters, that were easily rejected.