Best Antivirus/malware/spyware?

Forevermore1337

I am building a new computer, and i need to know what the best antivirus software out there. Don't even try to say Norton. I've been using Norton for over 4 years, and the only effect it has had on my computer is to slow boot times tremendously. Norton has protected my computer a few times, but i've had to download numerous free tools to get rid of malware/spyware, etc. I'm thinking Avast might be the best choice, but i just wanted to know if there's anything else out there that's more efficient.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Droogie

And yet another best anti-virus thread...

You can't beat AVG for free, thats what I use, haven't had any problems.
I use malwarebyte when I get more serious viruses (which rarely occurs anyway)

meg

Safe practice. I haven't had a virus since I started using a computer that only I was using - because they are shockingly easy to avoid, but I have still always used AVG Free. Always, always. If you like frequent definition updates, great scanning routines, and free antivirus software there is no reason to not have AVG!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I prefer Avast! myself. I've used AVG, but AVG's update takes up screen space, whereas Avast! stays hidden. And like Meg said, virus' are easy to avoid when your using the internet correctly and don't use Limewire.

I don't use MalwareBytes on my own system, but I install it on customer PC's so that I can clean out their systems.

SHO

AVG 8 Free for anti-virus and real-time spyware protection.

Ad-Aware 2008, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SuperAntiSpyware, A-Squared, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware... all free scanners to remove malware that gets through.

laznz1

AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG AVG lol

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's a windows sound? No wonder I couldn't find it, I looked all through avast for it. Time to remove that :D

Carlton

Comodo I.S. - firewall and AV bundle - both free and seem very solid. Back it up with the free version of BitDefender (on demand scanner only so safe to have installed as second AV).

Hdk20

Listen there are good antivirus programs out there, I personally always use AVG, I have 3 computers, none of them never had viruses since I downloaded it.. you see AVG sets a time for a scan everyday.. I think, that's what mine does. if you want a good spyware program I suggest Spybot Search and Destroy, This is probably the best spyware program I have used.

jakejake11tye

The best that i have ever used and herd of is Kaspersky is 2009, it has amazingly fast scan speeds, and doesn't affect performance of your pc, It doesnt take up alot of cpu, and is the best by far>