Best Antivirus?

P373R

what do people suggest as a best antivuris?
taking into account

-resource use [does it slow your computer?]
-effectiveness
-cost [relative to the two points above this one]

need a reliable antivirus...thanks!

Springy182

Personally I use "Comodo Internet Security" for the firewall and A/V, then "Avast!" as a better A/V, then "Spybot Search and Destroy" for "Teatimer" and optionally "Adaware", between that, using Firefox (Much safer then IE) and common sense (Dont download EXEs from non trusted sites, careful what you download, etc..) I havent had a major infection in quite literally, years. Your mileage may vary though

PC Rapid Repair

To be honest I run norton internet security 2009 on all my machines and never have a problem with them but then again I think that is because I watch what I and the family download and what sites are visited, Biggest protection you can get is common sense.

Thanks
Adie

Vizy

Do all these

[name] + "internet security"

programs try to remove *all* forms of malware?

Well, they get a fair bit of it. Some people choose not to go for these "all in ones" because they all (basically) work of the same virus definition list.

Springy182

To be honest I run norton internet security 2009 on all my machines and never have a problem with them but then again I think that is because I watch what I and the family download and what sites are visited, Biggest protection you can get is common sense.

Thanks
Adie

I dont trust any Norton product ever since I had Norton Antivirus 2004 on my computer (In 2004) and my system got so riddled with viruses it would randomly BSOD on me, and I didnt know enough to actually fix it so I endured that for several months, allll thanks to Norton not being able to detect the virus

Springy182

What about "antivirus" programs: they remove all malware as well, don't they? The rest of a "internet security" tries to prvent programs existing on the end computer, right?

Personally I found classifying malware as "Viruses" "Spyware" "Adware" and so on and so on dumb, umbrella terms like "Malware" or "Virus" is much easier

"Internet security" programs are generally an A/V program and a firewall, the firewall tries to prevent infestation by sealing the entrances and the A/V removes infestation by going through the house, in an over simplified analogy

smukherjee09

I have been using Avast! Home for quite a few years now and it has never failed me yet. Its features:
1. Uses Very little resources
2. Perhaps the most effective antivirus cum antimalware cum antirootkit software, it has blocked several infections on my machine as soon as they were detected (also it blocks malicious files as they are downloaded, and simply won't allow you to download it).
3. Excellent heuristics (i haven't had any false positives so far, all were solid malware)
4. Best of all, its Free for home and non-commercial use.
I strongly recommend you go for it. You can get it here:
www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

linkin

VIP Member
No one has recommended AVG Internet Security yet? :eek:
AVG can be a bit heavy on the resources when scanning and such. The firewall is good, and the thing i like the most is that it has a gaming mode for the firewall. in gaming mode it will automatically allow games to access the net without minimising your game and asking with a popup.

Personally, i wouldn't trust Norton to turn on a light switch.

Well thats my 2 cents.

aviation_man

Oh. And I'd also like to recommend Avast Free Edition (home). It is extremely good. I've been using it for years now and there has never ever been a problem with it; for me at least. It is most definitely not a resource hog either. And the price is free - unbeatable :D

TFT

VIP Member
You'll find that the best Antivirus will be the one that the user has on his system. Why, because no-one rubbishes software they are using. :)

Look for an antivirus program that updates at least daily (some update more often than that), is low on resources although it is a program that has to drain resources purely because of "on demand" scanning of files. But some are more efficient than others.

Kapersky and AVG continue to have good reviews.
Norton has got better with its latest release and McAffe continues to hog it.

wardhanster

i will go for avg home edition or avira free edition .. it will definately satisfiy your needs and your pocket too

tremmor

im using also. agreed. i tested all. mine is for 3 computers. its flexible also. can take it off one and put on another or give a key away. works well.