best brand currently?

haha

Hello, I will be off to University and I was thinking about a laptop.

i plan to use it for just university work (so i guess lots of storage?), msn, some music, and MAYBE ocassional gaming? but just a simple game

however, there are a few questions that I have troubles with, and the first is obviously, currently in the market which laptop is the best for the buck? dell? hp? acer?

thanks, taking suggestions
price range? which ever is the best for the buck (not too high end)

Sheringan

Well, acer have done the best of my needs. But there are many brands that came out of the competition when you say the best. Is it in terms of speed, portability or all of it. You can have a laptop computer comparison guide to be able to see your standards and needs. You should have a list of your particular needs from your laptop. Laptop computer comparison can help you much in which brand to choose. To help you more, please follow this link:

daisymtc

Asus if you gaming.
Acer is cheap and with OK quality. Good for non-gaming use.
Sony is stylish.
Leveno is durable.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Compaq, HP, Acer, ASUS, Toshiba, Lenovo, Sony (sony's sometimes referred to as the macbook equivalent of PCs, little pricey but come with heaps of nice extras)... these are all reputable quality brands. I have no personal experience with Dell computers but it seems that most people have something againist them, I don't know if it's just going with the flow or what but wherever you go you'll always find at least one dellhater... unless they have an exceptionally good deal, I'd stay away from them.

HumanMage

for a little more information on specific laptops go to http://forum.notebookreview.com/

They helped me alot with my laptop purchase. Some models even have reviews written about them, where you can see the performance and look of the laptop before you buy it. It was nice to have that tool while I was in the market.

cohen

well it all depends on what your going to use the PC for on which brand you should get...

What is your budget? and i and some of the other members can give you our recommendations.

Last edited:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
You realize that this is an 'opinion-only' kind of questions, and will vary according to who answers and what they *think* is good/bad (which, again, is according to them, not real-world application).

So...shop around, figure out what you need, and compare prices.

"Dell - Never
HP - Good
Acer - Good
Sony - only for the looks."

That is just childish. You make false assumptions in one word because you think you know everything. They are all "good" brands in their own way.

PHATSPEED7x

I have a Sony Vaio and it works great. I also have a Acer and it also works just as good as the Sony... For a quarter of the cost.

claytonr1973

I have a Dell 8200 Inspiron that I bought in Sept of 02 that has been very durable. I just bought a XPS M1710 that will be just a durable with the case being made of I believe magnesium. That MBP wouldn't last me with that aluminum case. I actually considered a MBP(very,very briefly) but that weak aluminum case made it a NO.

haha

to respond to imsati:
yes i realize this is an opinion question, however i would like to hear peopels opinions on the different brands mayb they have experences etc.

and i realized a lot of peope have mentioned reliable and ya thats exactly something i wanted to hear from people, brands that they think are generally reliable

Catatonic

banned
I just ordered a dell xpsm1530 with
T8300 2.4ghz, 3GB DDR2, 8600 GT and some other extras for $1450

one of my buddies got one about a month ago and he loves it, he got the stock 8400 card and he plays some not so demanding games at close to max, wow/bf2/etc. also you might want to look into the new dell studio set of laptops, they come with an ati vid card that is alright if you seldomly play games

and to people that say "stay away from dell" don't listen to em, they are just idiots, the m1530 was in the top 5 on pc mag when it first came out, now it is around 13th or so

Edit:
All, i can say, is don't go for dell.
and your reasoning behind this is....gg

Last edited: