Best card for $250-$300

X24

Ok i need to know which is the best card for that amount of money. I am thinking the X850PRO. I will put a zalman fan on it, and OC it with ATI tool.

this will work fine, won't it?

after reading benchmarks, i believe i am going with the X850PRO....which will be equiped with a zalman FHS thingy, and OC'd with ATItool

i have the x850pro and its a very nice card. Also it overclocks very well. I have stock cooling and i can get 580core 630mem without any trouble. I believe there are some sales going on in the US, I got my x850pro for 250 bucks, see if you can find a nice deal.

Yes, i'm getting mine for around the same price, and hopefully it will let me OC it a bit more with m zalman fhs going on it.....BTW, i have to pick between the powercolor or the sapphire one....which should i get? idk if the specs are differnt as the speeds aren't listed for the sapphire.

i'm going powercolor since i know for sure what the clocks are, and ATItool is a 1mb file (didn't expect that)

If you get saphires X800 GTO2, its ~$260, alot of people have been able to unlock it to a X850 XT or a X850 XT PE, because its based on the same core. There's an article on it somewhere, just google it.

Yes, the X800GTO2 uses the R480 core, same as the X850XT PE, and also the X850PRO uses the R480 core.

i ever read the article on how they do it. But i believe i am still sticking with the X850PRO becuase the unlocking pipes thing sounds a little complicated or hard, and the 850pro is pretty cheap right now.

Vampiric Rouge said:
the x800XL works great for me. 16pipelines, i think the 850pro only has 12 pipelines.

the ammount of pipelines doesnt really matter.
the pipelines are the ammount of pixels per clock the card cas spit out ( so 16 pipelines = 16 pixels per GPU clock ) so if the GPU has a higher clock frequenty, it doesnt matter. ;)

anyway, i hav a 6800GT. OC'd o ULTRA on stock cooling. ant it tears itself trough anything i threw at it :D

actually you can. the GTO2 has had a 100% completed unlocking potention (idk how to word that any better)
i think if i can figure out how they unlock it and aslong as it doesn't take a huge download (on dial-up) i might just do that......

Archangel said:
the ammount of pipelines doesnt really matter.
the pipelines are the ammount of pixels per clock the card cas spit out ( so 16 pipelines = 16 pixels per GPU clock ) so if the GPU has a higher clock frequenty, it doesnt matter. ;)

anyway, i hav a 6800GT. OC'd o ULTRA on stock cooling. ant it tears itself trough anything i threw at it :D
Out of max pcs last mag, they stated that basically ur statement is wrong... when comparing the x850 xt plat ed, to the 7800gt, the gt blew it away. And the has 4 more pipes while the 850 is oced to higher than the gt...this mag is given me alot to talk about lately..oh and on topic, id say go for the 6800gt, they can be had for great prices, then stick an aftermarket cooler and oc that bish.

EDIT: I just found this at tiger direct..im pretty sure ur going for pci-e and if u can handle spending 320 and waiting for a rebate...i suggest this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1549681&Sku=B52-1030

Last edited:
donjuan1jr said:
Out of max pcs last mag, they stated that basically ur statement is wrong... when comparing the x850 xt plat ed, to the 7800gt, the gt blew it away. And the has 4 more pipes while the 850 is oced to higher than the gt...this mag is given me alot to talk about lately..oh and on topic, id say go for the 6800gt, they can be had for great prices, then stick an aftermarket cooler and oc that bish.

EDIT: I just found this at tiger direct..im pretty sure ur going for pci-e and if u can handle spending 320 and waiting for a rebate...i suggest this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1549681&Sku=B52-1030

Also... the 6600GT has a higher clock frequency than the 7800GT, but the 7800GT will smoke a 6600GT in anything.

Back