Best CAT for gaming?

Grasshopper

What is the CAT of choice when it comes to gaming. I don't plan on transferring data files per se, just gaming (small, 2 computer LAN "Party"). What should I choose (CAT 5 / 5e / 6 ) to be sure I can accomodate the more demanding games. The run will only be about 50', if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for all the info.

ahajv4life

My friends and I have used both CAT 5 and 6 when gaming. Personally the cord doesn't matter, because it usaully falls back on the computers, either not being fast enough, or not having enough memory. But in any event, CAT 6 cord is "better" than a Cat5...but you won't be able to tell unless you have some great computers.

zort15

If your setting up a 100 Mbps network, then CAT 5e would be fine, if your setting up a 1 Gbps network, then CAT 6 is recommended, although you could still probably get away with CAT 5e

ratidore

CAT 5 is 100BASE-TX technology. That 100 stands for 100 Megabits per second. You standard cable modem is capped at 5 Megabits per second. You'll never come close to using the maximum bandwidth of CAT 5. Its maximum distance is 100 meters...so you are good to go.

ratidore

zort15 said:
If your setting up a 100 Mbps network, then CAT 5e would be fine, if your setting up a 1 Gbps network, then CAT 6 is recommended, although you could still probably get away with CAT 5e

Well, your average NIC isn't going to be able to operate at 1 Gbps. And for gaming, you certainly don't need anywhere near that kind of speed.

Geoff

VIP Member
ratidore said:
CAT 5 is 100BASE-TX technology. That 100 stands for 100 Megabits per second. You standard cable modem is capped at 5 Megabits per second. You'll never come close to using the maximum bandwidth of CAT 5. Its maximum distance is 100 meters...so you are good to go.

he didnt say anything about gaming online, hes talking about a small lan party.

heinzbitte

ratidore said:
Even with just LANs he won't come too close.

Last edited: