Best computer game ever

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Hexplore. First PC game I ever played, at around 10. It's your typical top down diablo type game. I played it for hours upon hours, never got tired of it. XD

It would probably suck these days but whatever, the personal attachment is still strong.

dakaptin

Diablo 2 and expansion, and by a long shot.

- it is still a major seller today, despite aging graphics,
- I almost failed yr 11 coz i was sooooooooo addicted to it
- so did many of my friends, friends of friends, their aquaintences, etc.
- oh yeah, staying awake became harder and harder as a result too
- I especially loved the huuuuge amount of items, weapons etc that you could get in the game. I havent started playing oblivion yet, but I think diablo's range far surpasses it still both in imagination and variety.
- also very well done was the many individual ways you could use each weapon/weapon class (eg. double throwing axes could be used to throw or swing both at same time)
- replayability didnt help improve my sleeping habits either!!!!!

hermeslyre

VIP Member
These days there does, because there isn't an excuse not to have purty eye candy. But the older games are automatically exempt from this, Could you imagine not including Zelda: OoT or Castlevania: SotN in the greatest games of all time just because of their graphics? It would be heresy. :p

Graphics don't matter as much as storyline and gameplay anyways IMO.

nffc10

These days there does, because there isn't an excuse not to have purty eye candy. But the older games are automatically exempt from this, Could you imagine not including Zelda: OoT or Castlevania: SotN in the greatest games of all time just because of their graphics? It would be heresy. :p

Graphics don't matter as much as storyline and gameplay anyways IMO.

The game has to IMO have a brilliant story line and not feel too unrealistic. Also you don't want a game that seems like your never getting anywhere, and the odd twist or turn here and there certainly helps.:D

elitehacker

Graphics is just as important to a game as storyline, all these elements must be present for a game to be great.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
If you're talking about newer games, It still is preference. Graphics can be a big selling point but if the gameplay sucks, no one will want to play it. However if the graphics aren't too good but the game itself rocks then the only people who won't want to play the game are graphic-whores.

Seriously If a game Needs good graphics to be a good game then everyone would be agreeing right now. But they aren't, Some people really don't care about the visuals as much as gameplay. Storyline is about as important as the visuals, People will play a game with sucky graphics and a crappy story, But no-one wants to play a bad game.

nmwords

I have to go with either resident evil 2 or final fantasy 7 as my alltime favorites, No other games have ever given me that feeling....what feeling?, its hard to explain. but I was a kid then, so i'll probably never have that much fun with games again, unfortunatly. :( still love gaming though !

Nutter

Soldier of Fortune 2 online, nothing beats it. Been playing it for 3 years now online. I play it everyday 2-3 hours or more.

dakaptin

I feel I have to contribute more to this thread...

but b4 i do, I totally agree with hermes, if its fun, then ull have fun!!! graphics only amazes you, and the storyline moves you, so to speak!

I therefore think its also important to make the distinction of WHY you think its "the best game ever"

I could easily have said GTA 3, but I think that game more or less made its impact becuase of it's revolutioinary gaming environment (a whole, real (ok virtual) working city)and free-form "style of play" more than it's level of enjoyment.

Mind you however these factors are what made it so enjoyable to play!

TheMajor

My three best would be:
Mafia - City of Lost Heaven
Half-Life 2
StarCraft

Other favorite games:
RTCW and ET
Soldier of Fortune 1&2
C&C series
Max Payne 1&2
CoD 1&2
Warzone 2100
Supaplex
Wolfenstein 3D
Quake 1&2
Unreal II
Empire Earth 1
FarCry
Sports Car GT
Half-Life 1

and many more...

Last edited:

skidude

My top 10, in order:

1- Counter Strike Source
2- Grand Theft Auto 3
3- Ledend Of Zelda- Ocarina Of Time (not on the PC, but whatever)
4- Halo
5- Bioshock
6- Oblivion
7- Battlefield 2
8- Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
9- Warcraft 3
10- Doom 3

The_Beast

pitfall.jpg

Pitfall

Legend 69

Very tough question espechialy when deciding between different genre's, but because of the shear amount of times i have gone back to it, even recently, it has to be - Diablo 2. Fantastic game, and so addicting.

Also considered:

Football Manager 2006 - Because im currently playing in the 2018-2019 season with Juventus.
Half-Life 2 - Because of the gravity gun and the breathtaking set pieces.
C&C Red Alert 2 - Becuase of the massive armies i would make.
Final Fantasy 8 (Although i only ever played the PS version) - Because it was the first game i was ever addicted to.
The Sims 1 - Becuase of the millions of times i managed to kill them all!
Dungeon Keeper 2 - Becuase of the detailed dungeons i would make.
Morrowind - Becuase of the the sheer vastness of it, and because of the first time you step out of the boat and see the world.
Oblivion - Because of the freedom.
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 - Becuase of the hundreds of goal replays i have saved from it.

Quite a strange and contrasting list, but all have a special place in my memories.