best ddr for a Gigabyte

hondaluver

hey guys i'm new to the forum and relatively new to computers... I just purchased a Gigabyte motherboard and i was curious if there are any good/best brand of ram modules to use and if there are any brands i should stay away from. thanks for any help.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you're running a board that needs registered memory, check to see what Gigabyte says is needed otherwise theres not much for brands other than personal preferences :) If you're looking for brandname memory, Corsair, Mushkin, OCz and Geil make very nice modules. If you're looking at DDR2 memory, Corsair and Micron are the route to take (there's also Hynix but they make mostly generic and video memory), as those are the only two memory makes that have had a crapload of exposure with DDR2 as they are apart of JDEC :)

Grimulus

I'm really partial to Corsair. Whatever ram you get, I would probably get their "gaming version" or whatever they call it. Corsair XMS or Kingston Hyper-X. I think you get the idea. My friend said(please remember this isn't my word) that his Hyper-X didn't like to OC at all.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
One stick of memory from the next can have radical differences as many OCers know... the HyperX's do quite well although, as stated, they are hit and miss (just like everything else with OCing :p)