Best game contollers for pc gaming

jamesd1981

Hi all, looking for some advice on the best accessories for pc gaming.

Previously a console gamer and only light pc gaming, but lately getting much more into pc gaming, maybe it is because i have been so long as a console gamer but i really do not like gaming using keyboard only.

I did buy a gameware gamepad, i have been through all the controller settings and works fine when setting it up, but does not seem to work in any of the games I have, after doing some research online it seems to be quite common maybe because it was really cheap.

So i am looking for some info on good controllers and joysticks etc, to get more enjoyment out my pc gaming.

I have read a bit online about using ps3 or xbox controllers, can someone confirm if that is the best way to go.

salvage-this

It is the only one that I have used. So far I have no complaints. It's comfortable and I have not had any compatibility problems yet.

Okedokey

thanks for your insightful comment. you really add so much to every thread that you reply to.

The topic is best game controllers for pc. The best by far is mouse and keyboard. I would suggest the OP persists in trying to use it as they are much much more accurate for FPS games.

Last edited:

salvage-this

i really do not like gaming using keyboard only.

So i am looking for some info on good controllers and joysticks etc, to get more enjoyment out my pc gaming.

I have read a bit online about using ps3 or xbox controllers, can someone confirm if that is the best way to go.

Keyboard and mouse are more accurate. Agreed. But that is not what he asked for.

Might want to answer the real question asked rather than telling the OP to suck it up.

Okedokey

...I have read a bit online about using ps3 or xbox controllers, can someone confirm if that is the best way to go.

Confirming it isn't the best way to go. Keyboard and mouse (once you get used to it) will own any controller. Fact.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Confirming it isn't the best way to go. Keyboard and mouse (once you get used to it) will own any controller. Fact.

Okay, go play Need For Speed or GRID with a keyboard and mouse.

Yeah....thought so.

Hyper_Kagome

Yeah....thought so.

I prefer controller layout for most hands that support it. find it easier myself, less errors.

Also OP, as stated before Microsoft has awesome gaming controllers in the 360 layout made specifically for PC in both wired ($30-40) and wireless ($40-50) options. They tend to sell fairly well at my location. Have had a couple friends pick some up (one for Skyrim for her boot camped Mac) and I'm seriously considering one for my Witcher 2.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
OP, if you already have a wireless 360 controller, there are adapters you can buy so you can use it with your PC.

Okedokey

Yeah....thought so.

Sorry didn't see any reference to that game.. thought so. But if you're going to play a driving game get a wheel.

But for FPS and most other games a console controller is not the way to go.

Let us claim that we are comparing gaming inputs based solely on precision. That sounds like a reasonable metric – so why not?

When you measure that for most popular games: mouse and keyboard absolutely wrecks the controller.

It is not even close. It is a slaughter.
PC Perspective 2012

Last edited:

Hyper_Kagome

OP doesn't seem to mind precision but rather ease and comfort.

Also OP, you should be able to find the wireless adaptor Travis speaks of for ~$25 or less. The last I saw anyway.

Darren

Staff member
Okey, there's a reason people think your an ass on here at times.

Xbox Controller is probably the best way to go, it's cheap, has the best compatibility for games as it's plug in play for most newer games. Older ones can set up a controller emulator if you want.

As for a wheel, that's not really feasible for most people as it's really expensive. Buying a 250 dollar wheel for a 20 dollar steam game doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yeah FPS's are best with a mouse and keyboard but for driving games and sometimes RPG's and other games, a controller can be better. I can't play GTA with a keyboard anymore after I got used to the 360 controller.

jamesd1981

The topic is best game controllers for pc. The best by far is mouse and keyboard. I would suggest the OP persists in trying to use it as they are much much more accurate for FPS games.

I will be continuing to practice getting used to playing with keyboard/mouse, i can use them reasonably well with my simulators and other games like star trek and battlefield, just want a traditional controller for when i just want to relax and play easily.

Yeah....thought so.

It is grid 2 that is behind the wish for a controller, got it a few days ago and had my first shot yesterday and although i could play it, it was really awkward trying to play using the a w s d keys

OP, if you already have a wireless 360 controller, there are adapters you can buy so you can use it with your PC.

I have xbox and ps3 controllers, I heard you can connect wireless xbox controller to pc using a bluetooth adapter which i already have in my pc.

I also downloaded software for using console controllers, xbox 360 accessories 1.2 and motion joy dual shock ps3 0.7.1

I will have a try connecting the console controllers, but i am quite happy to buy the recommended xbox windows controller if it means getting a more enjoyable gaming experience on my pc.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Darren

Staff member
If you get the regular 360 controller connected and recognized by the PC it should run the same way as the "PC version".

This is what I have and would just plug and play with ease.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...372612613&sr=1-1&keywords=xbox+360+controller

Be warned, there is a super cheap version that looks legit but it's not an actual 360 controller and is a rip off design that's super cheap. Make sure you check the reviews of what your ordering because some are scams.

jamesd1981

Yes denther that is the controller I am intending to get, will try and connect the xbox 360 controller to do me until i get the proper windows version.