Best Graphics Card -6800gs?

BovineMaster

Currently I have a Radeon x800(i think its pro, but it also has the fanless thing). I am looking to upgrade to somthing even better, mabye the nvidia 6800gs. But is there somthing even better now that I can upgrade to thats under $400US?

Geoff

VIP Member
The 6800gs is nowhere near new, you can get a 7800GT for around $290, or a x1900XT for around $500.

Last edited:

i.Angel

The 7800GT is a great card! I highly reccomend it! If you have 400 USD to blow then I'd get that card and get a mod for your computer! (neon lighting, new CPU cooling, etc.)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
GamerGuy8899 said:
The 7800GT is a great card! I highly reccomend it! If you have 400 USD to blow then I'd get that card and get a mod for your computer! (neon lighting, new CPU cooling, etc.)

i dont think he's gonna spend 150 dollars modding his computer when all he wants is a graphics card.

What's the specs for the rest of your system? Maybe you can get more ram, a new harddrive etc. Cause a 7800gt only costs around 250 to 300 bucks which leaves you with some leftover money.

Rambo

BovineMaster said:
Currently I have a Radeon x800(i think its pro, but it also has the fanless thing). I am looking to upgrade to somthing even better, mabye the nvidia 6800gs. But is there somthing even better now that I can upgrade to thats under $400US?

Errm, just to clear it up... Are you using an X800 AGP card, or a PCI-Express one?

If it's an AGP X800, then you're going to need to buy a few more things if you want to buy the 7800GT...

BovineMaster

Why would I need to buy more things to change a graphics card. I have no clue which one it is eather.
Specs:
MOBO: Abit AA8-DuraMAX
CPU: Intel P4 3.0 Prescott (looking to oc to 3.8 but thats another story)
RAM: 2gb OCZ Gold improved latency DDR2 533
HDD: Some 120gb

All I am looking for is the best graphics card there is for under $400US.

Geoff

VIP Member
Most likely it is PCI-E, since he has DDR2, and only LGA775 supports that, and most LGA775 boards are PCI-E.

The 7800GT would be the best abng for the buck @ $250.

Prof Pwnsworth

If you have 400 then i would go with 2 6800 GS' thats the best bet, their about 170 so with the money left over and like 40 more you can get yourself an SLI mobo.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Prof Pwnsworth said:
If you have 400 then i would go with 2 6800 GS' thats the best bet, their about 170 so with the money left over and like 40 more you can get yourself an SLI mobo.
A single 7800GT is comparable to, and often outperforms, 2 6800GS in SLI, at a significantly better price.