best Graphics Card for dbl monitoring ?

Azalea13

I'm getting an EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI (TR Version) NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard and need to decide on a good graphics card that allows for dbl monitoring.

p.s. I'm not a gamer ... I may watch movies on my pc every once in a while ...

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Almost any card with dual video outputs can do the double monitor dance, and since you don't game at all you can afford to go cheap. Video cards don't really affect movie viewing so you don't even need to worry bout it.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
No, I didn't realize you were with Vista. The 6600 leaves alot to be desired of a gaming card but as you aren't interested in that it's a fine choice.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The 6600 will work fine with vista. You could spend extra to get a 7600gt, but as you said yourself you aren't planning to game so it would be a waste. It's up to you of course.

Azalea13

The 6600 will work fine with vista. You could spend extra to get a 7600gt, but as you said yourself you aren't planning to game so it would be a waste. It's up to you of course.

oh ic. so vista compatibility is only required for gaming and stuff. For other purposes any VC will do I suppose, right?

ETSA

Almost any card with dual video outputs can do the double monitor dance, and since you don't game at all you can afford to go cheap. Video cards don't really affect movie viewing so you don't even need to worry bout it.

That is an incorrect statement.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
That is an incorrect statement.

ooooook. You do know when you someone says something like that they usually, I dunno, Back it up. It helps no one to simply say I'm wrong and leave it at that. Tell me why I'm wrong good sir, I do not propose to be right at all times.

ETSA

An easy example is support for HD and blu-ray/HD-DVD playback that the newest GPU's offer. By choosing " any ol' " GPU may limit you in video quality right there. That is just one example, I don't make it a habit of trolling this forum and pointing out when people are wrong, but when I do, it is to only encourage those who may have doubts to do there own research, it is not my job to convince others of my opinions. I do not care if people see eye to eye with me.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Alittle touchy? I wasn't calling you out, if anything I was doing myself in. I'd rather someone point out when I'm wrong then for someone to take my wrong advice.

Still though, I don't believe the 6600 would reduce quality in any way except in that it doesn't have HDCP (that I know of) which will disallow blu-ray and HD-dvds (I think). They're so expensive though, I don't see the point.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
ETSA is right, the Evga 680i is an enthusiast gaming/overclocking board considering it's features and price. Not very economical if you ask me.

The 2600xt is an alright card IMO. But since he's not gaming the 2400 looks better, plus it won't be hindered in any way.