Best home network storage

McNicholas

Hey there,

New to the forum. I know a small amount about computers and such but enough to get around.

I have a macbook pro with 256gb of storage. I have a 150gb music library and another 100gb of photos and videos. I currently have a Seagate Central 3TB to backup this stuff but when I want to listen to itunes and use photos on the macbook, its sooooo slow, plus the seagate just broke.

what would be my best option to be able to backup all of my stuff but also be able to access it often? I'd like to be able to listen to my music library through iTunes but not have to store the music on the computer, and also have speed with no lag.

Sorry if this question has been done.

Thanks

beers

Staff member
Greetings,

Is the lag you experience momentary at the beginning of accessing data? A lot of external type drives will spin down after a few minutes.

If you'd rather have centralized storage at home then you'd either be looking at a NAS appliance (such as Synology) or building your own file server type of computer.

Is there a budget you had in mind? How much capacity would you be shooting for?

McNicholas

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about 2-3TB x2 and have them backup each other somehow. I think I could spend about 3-$400CAD.
The lag is constant, it freezes multiple times while listening to a song. I am now in a battle with Seagate because it doesn't even work anymore, so I was hoping there is something out there that is faster and more reliable.

Greetings,

Is the lag you experience momentary at the beginning of accessing data? A lot of external type drives will spin down after a few minutes.

If you'd rather have centralized storage at home then you'd either be looking at a NAS appliance (such as Synology) or building your own file server type of computer.

Is there a budget you had in mind? How much capacity would you be shooting for?