Best laptop for 3D modelling and animation

Analizer

Hello CF.

From September 28th I will be off to Bournemouth University to do Games Technology course, therefore I am looking for a laptop ranging from £1300-£1700 or $2080-$2720 for 3D modelling (rendering) and animation.

I was looking at Alienware laptops, do you think they can handle the job or is there something better than them?

Laptop must be at least 18" and have 6gb+ of RAM.

Analizer.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
A pc would be better for that kind of stuff, but if you have to carry it to everywhere you'll be fine with a laptop. Alienware is good, but far overpriced..

Analizer

I don't want a PC as I will carry the laptop with me.

Is there anything with a screen which is 18"+?

And I will be let down with what? With Alienware?

wolfeking

banned
Is there anything with a screen which is 18"+

Probably not. And you asking for one begs a explanation of how monitors works. A 1080p screen will show the same amount of data no matter how large the screen is. You see the same amount on a 15" 1080p as you do on a 42" 1080p, but the smaller you make the screen while maintaining the resolution means you get a more detailed image.

wolfeking

banned
The M17x is far overpriced, and not as well built. Also it is not equipped with graphics meant for modeling. The Lenovo, or Precision from dell are much better units.

Analizer

Yes but modelling will not be the only thing I will do on that laptop, I'd like to play a game sometimes like I said before.

Are there any other laptops I sould look at?

wolfeking

banned
You are not thinking ahead. The quadro will model far better and not really be far behind the same consumer card gaming wise either. My FX2500m actually outperforms a 7900m GTX that it is based on.

You will be better off with a Quadro than a gaming card. The few more frames a gaming card will give you in game is not worth the loss of efficiency in modeling.

Analizer

Then tell me why the benchmarks are better on GTX 660m/675m than the quadro 2000m?
What games could be playable on this video card?

And the look of the Lenovo is terrible to be honest.

wolfeking

banned
couple of things. 1. The quadro 2000m is a GTX 460m. It is a different design (fermi), less memory, smaller bandwidth, slower clock and less cores. 2. You should be able to play any game currently out. You will not max them no where near it, but you will play at around medium (its the same basic card as the desktop GTS 450).

Analizer

The whole unit will not just be 3d modelling and I would like to play some games, not really on medium 'cos I'm one of those people that graphics also matter to me.

Why will the quadro 2000m be better at modelling than for example 660m/675m?

wolfeking

banned
you see you are comparing a top end to a low end. You are basically asking what is better, a ford LTD or a Rolls Royce Phantom.

The 660m and 675m will be faster because of the architecture. IF you went to the K200m, then it would be a close race.

and graphics are not that important. It takes a very skilled eye to see the difference between medium and maxed out graphics. Look at BF3 for example. the first one is maxxed out @ 720p and the second is medium presets at 720P

bf3_2012_08_18_23_42_28_062.jpg

bf3_2012_07_04_19_23_04_833.jpg

Analizer

Actually after having a long think about the whole thing I will build a computer so if someone could the please post the hardware here including a 22 or 24" monitor (or 2).