Best make for drives

Best make for DVD drives (or drives in general)

• LG

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Samsung

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • NEC

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Philips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LiteOn

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • BenQ

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Panasonic

• Aopen

• Other...

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Im pricing up a system build for a mate and i have come to the part of choosing drvies, i am going for a DVD-RW drive but am unsure what make to go with. Of course a standard thread would do fine but hey, why not make it a poll too :) :)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey

I vote the NEC based on the following:

1. Price
2. Performance
3. Reliabilty
4. Quality
5. Personal experience

The 3520 and 3540 are great burners ;) I myself own the 3520 and have had no coasters yet.

JAN :D

Last edited:

Greg J.

VIP Member
I voted NEC because that is the brand of my CD-RW drive. It has never failed. Most NEC drives should only need the Windows native (generic) driver to function properly (unless you use legacy NEC drives, then the official site has them for download).

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Lol, thanks for that jan. Are coasters more common woth DVD's than CD's or is it just if you have a crappy burner

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
dragon2309 said:
Lol, thanks for that jan. Are coasters more common woth DVD's than CD's or is it just if you have a crappy burner
both, but it helps to burn on the lowest speed, or at least, dont burn on the fastest.

kof2000

i've own NEC's and Pioneers, I havent own a plextor but i love to have one of their SATA dvd burners then getting rid of all the ata cables.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yeah

I am saying NEC because I have had no problem with my 3520. I always burn at 4x maximum anyway in order to prevent any possible problems associated with burning too fast. The price/performance ratio is one of the best in NEC drives. Both DVD+-Rs and CD-Rs can become coasters when burned too fast. However, this also has to do with burning quality which is very good on the new generation of NEC drives (3500,3520,3540).

JAN :D

spacedude89

i love my current Pioneer DVD-RW, its dual layer too, im planning to get a HP DVD-RW too because of the Lite-Scribe Technology.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My answer is in CD/DVD 101 (oh and by the way, Sony doesnt really make burners anymore ... not that they were any good to start with)

jjsevdt

I stan by both of my Liteon Dirves they are great and quite inexpensive compared to there cousins (Sony)

flip218

VIP Member
I voted "other". How are you going to have a poll and not put Plextor on the list?

My vote goes for Plextor, they make excellent drives.

image01.gif