Best mobile broadband service?

cohen

Well here in Aus Telstra is the best one.. covering 98% of the Country!!!!!

Dad put me with optus :mad: and had it... costs to much to send to Telstra... i think almost everyone is on Telstra in Aus.

Daniels2386

I have Altell...I live out in the country where DSL isnt provided and Satellite (Wild Blue, Hughes Net, etc) is WAY to expensive. Mine is ALOT faster than dial up but NOT as fast as DSL. Your speed is based on your signal strength

G25r8cer

Ive heard that download speeds and upload speeds suck with them! Who has wireless? Nextel and sprint, altell, at&t and what else?

PHATSPEED7x

I just signed up for AT&T. We'll see how well it works. When your connected your computer doesn't put out a signal that others could connect to?

claytonr1973

I use Sprint and it's pretty darn good but PRAY you don't have any problems with it as thier cust serv is horrible. I left sprint for at@t 8yrs ago for cell serv and got the sprint air card (sierra 595U,usb) because at the time sprint was faster than at@t. I have been told it's not that way anymore but who knows. I do know that with Sprint you get unlimited with no roaming for $60 where as at@t is like $70 for 5000KB a month. If you live in an area that has EVO A service it is pretty good.

PHATSPEED7x

AT&T is $60/mo for 5000mb and it's $0 for additional data. I have cell towers less than 10 miles from my house, but I'm back in to woods, and we get like 2-3 bars of service with a booster. My sister uses her black berry fine, and she has T Mobile that uses AT&T towers when she is at home.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
One of my had Verizon and it wasn't too great. It was more like laggy dialup than broadband. Though I can't recall how the coverage was in our area...

That's probably the biggest thing the worry about. Check how the coverage is in your area/places you'll be in and see which service offers the most/best coverage.

PHATSPEED7x

Ok I got my wireless card in the mail today installed the software, and plugged in the card. It's defective. Brought it in, and they tried a new card and it worked. So now I have to wait for a new reman card to come in the mail. This is going to be a long week.

PHATSPEED7x

Ok I got my new card in the mail today and this one works!!!!! I set it up in our dinning room because it's the room with the best cell phone signal (the booster helps alot). I live out in the sticks, no land line, and service is hit and miss at best. I'm getting about 3-4 bars of signal, but I'm only connected at 2G speeds. I would have to say it's like a fast dial-up (I know that's not right). But it's not too bad. I'm excited to see how my speeds are at my friends house. She lives in town, and has a cell tower less than 1000ft from her house.

PHATSPEED7x

I was able to tweak it a little and get this for a speed...

Broadbandspeedtest.jpg

PHATSPEED7x

I did some more playing around with my computer and was able to get this...

Broadbandspeedtest4.jpg

For being out in the sticks that's not too bad.

PHATSPEED7x

Ok interesting. It said I was to use the Alantia server to test but I'm in northern MN??? I'm confused???

Here's the MN server test...

What happened to my speed???

Last edited:

brian

VIP Member
well it could be the servers. but speedtest is very reliable. but that is better then dial up

holdenssx

Anyone looking to get mobile broadband should look at Millenicom. They run on Sprint's network. $60 for unlimited use, NO contracts and you don't have to pay for the device.

Only catch is that when you cancel you need to send the card back. When I have Rev.A coverage (most of the time) I get around 800 kb/s.

PHATSPEED7x

AT&T is the only provider with a good data plan coverage in my area. So far I'm pretty pleased with it. It's not blazin Broadband, but it's better than dial up. And way better than nothing at all.