Best network media player for multiple file types?

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by G25r8cer, Oct 21, 2015.

1. G25r8cer

G25r8cer Active Member

I have a WD My cloud 2TB and a Vizio M502i-b1. The vizio struggles to play multiple video types and I should have returned it right away but, I didn't. My Samsung plays just about every video file type I throw at it.

So rather than converting my mountain of files I am looking at a media player. Have been looking at the WDTV player but, there are so many different models and I don't know which is the newest or the best.

I am willing to try a cheap no-brand model if people have had good success. Literally all I need or want it to do is play just about any video file type from my "my cloud". I could care less about any other features.

2. G25r8cer

G25r8cer Active Member

No one has input?

3. zeppelin04

zeppelin04 Member

-I can tell you that my Western Digital TV Live played anything that was on my external hd with no issue. Can't give you any input on the cloud aspect, but I believe it had functionality for a even a few years ago. It was a nice unit that I would recommend.

4. G25r8cer

G25r8cer Active Member

Might just take the plunge and buy a used one on ebay.

5. ian

ian Administrator Staff Member

I have an old WD TV hooked up to a hard drive and it has been fairly reliable, plays a lot of different file types. I like the look of the roku 3, especially the earphones from the remote.

6. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Even if you change DLNA server, the TV still only supports certain codecs. You'd either need another mechanism like a Roku-type device that runs a DLNA client so it can interpret the video data, or transcode your videos into something supported by the TV.

7. G25r8cer

G25r8cer Active Member

The WD TV is a DLNA client like the roku. It converts files on the fly.