Best OS/Application for using Raspberry Pi for streaming

Geoff

VIP Member
I have an extra Raspberry Pi 1 model B lying around after upgrading it's uses with a new Pi 3. I also have a spare 28" computer monitor, and was looking at making my own streaming client out of it for a sort of "DIY Smart TV". I'm familiar with Raspian, but after a quick search it seems like OpenELEC may be a better option. It does need to have VLC capabilities as I'd likely use my phone to control it, or cast to it if that's an option.

Any recommendations? Does anyone else use OpenELEC or similar on a Pi for streaming content from a NAS?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine swears by openelec, it's essentially kodi. I don't really like kodi myself, I couldn't even get the youtube plugin to work because of authentication issues. After messing with API keys for nearly an hour I removed the whole thing and put retropi back on and happily play S/NES.

With everything on your NAS, you'd probably find Kodi to be good.

Geoff

VIP Member
I wish OpenELEC and OSMC had the same out of the box remote capabilities of Raspian. OpenELEC doesn't have SSH enabled by default, and OSMC doesn't have VNC. Makes it tough to configure and control when attempting to configure as a headless.

mistersprinkles

Do you guys know if theres a way to stop OSMC from asking me to authenticate for youtube constantly, and also from saying I have exceeded my daily limit?

Also, any way to get Netflix running outside of Raspbian which has crap video playback no matter what I do?

OSMC? OpenELEC? Anybody? Really want netflix on this thing. There MUST be a way.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The only way I've seen it done is using another machine elsewhere to stream the content over to the Pi using special software