Best programs to clean a slow PC?

The VCR King

Family friend is dropping off their laptop and desktop to look at, both are about 4 year old PCs. Both machines are used by little kids to watch YT and play online games, so I'm already expecting 300 viruses and a wall of toolbars.

So far I have Malwarebytes and Seatools to check the drive health on a CD-R to run
(my logic being that if their PC is infected, it can't infect my CD like it can my USB stick
since CD is write-once.)

Any other good programs to de-crapify a bogged down PC used by kids?

Darren

Staff member
SuperAntiSpyware cleans off a lot of junky programs quickly and does a virus scan. Works pretty well for the free version, don't need to do the trail or anything.
https://ninite.com/super/
AdwCleaner will nab stuff SAS may miss.
CCleaner, registry and system cleanup.

Run the following commands in command prompt under admin priviledges.

/sfc scannow
/chkdsk /f /r

Should help a lot.

Darren

Staff member
If they're Vista tell them to buy a new computer. :p They're gonna get pounded with Viruses on that since it's not supported anymore.

The VCR King

If they're Vista tell them to buy a new computer. :p They're gonna get pounded with Viruses on that since it's not supported anymore.
I can't do that lol I just gotta get it as cleaned up as I can

I'm definitely checking out Ninite

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
I'm definitely checking out Ninite
Ninite is just a website that gives you installers for various software. I just linked you to the direct download for SuperAntiSpyware. Ninite in itself is awesome, just not actually software.

The VCR King

Ninite is just a website that gives you installers for various software. I just linked you to the direct download for SuperAntiSpyware. Ninite in itself is awesome, just not actually software.
I'm trying out SuperAntiSpyware on my XP VM just to see what it's like and I like it. I'll use this for sure, thank you!

Darren

Staff member
I'm trying out SuperAntiSpyware on my XP VM just to see what it's like and I like it. I'll use this for sure, thank you!
Make sure you check for definitions updates when you use it, bottom right of the main page. Then just do a complete scan. It'll start by checking for any junky software and give you a red X for each one to uninstall it. After that it just does a full virus scan. The ability to quickly remove junky stuff is the main appeal for it, use it at work every day.

The VCR King

Make sure you check for definitions updates when you use it, bottom right of the main page. Then just do a complete scan. It'll start by checking for any junky software and give you a red X for each one to uninstall it. After that it just does a full virus scan. The ability to quickly remove junky stuff is the main appeal for it, use it at work every day.
Perfect, will do.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
They don't know (...) but since the PC's are 4 years old I'm assuming Windows 7 or Vista.

If they were brand new 4 years ago then it would be either 7 or 8 depending. Windows 7 came out in October 2009 which was 8 years ago. Windows 8 came out in October 2012. So Vista would be 8 years or more.

If you run the following in order

1. Ccleaner
2. Adwcleaner
3. Junkware removal tool
4. Malwarebytes

You should get most everything. If you were to run Superantispyware after running those 4 then it will just find tracking cookies usually. If its still running windows 7 then combofix can be ran on it, but i would need to see the logs before running it.

The VCR King

If they were brand new 4 years ago then it would be either 7 or 8 depending. Windows 7 came out in October 2009 which was 8 years ago. Windows 8 came out in October 2012. So Vista would be 8 years or more.

If you run the following in order

1. Ccleaner
2. Adwcleaner
3. Junkware removal tool
4. Malwarebytes

You should get most everything. If you were to run Superantispyware after running those 4 then it will just find tracking cookies usually. If its still running windows 7 then combofix can be ran on it, but i would need to see the logs before running it.
Will do this, thank you
Reinstall the OS.
I can't do that. I can't risk possibly bricking their computer if something goes wrong. Besides I've had to reinstall Windows 7 on the Beast 3 times now and idk how many more times I can re-use my security key until Microsoft notices

The VCR King

You can use phone activation if it's a single or the same PC if the online one fails.
So that means I could do phone activation if I ever re-install the Beast again but not another PC?

Also do you know how many times normally you can use a windows key? Mine is on it's 4th use.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as its on the same pc, indefinitely for an OEM license. For a full version license, it can be used on different machines, just can't have it on more then one at a time.

The VCR King

As long as its on the same pc, indefinitely for an OEM license. For a full version license, it can be used on different machines, just can't have it on more then one at a time.
Idk if I have the OEM version or full version. The disc says "intended for shipping with a newly built PC" or something along the lines of that.