Best Router

Lane

What would be a good buy or the best router to buy? I have a lynksys now that is 4 years old and may be giving me trouble, need something better. Not wireles.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The Buffalo WHR-G54S is a great router if you can find it. Newegg has been out of stock for a few weeks now, so I don't know if they'll get more or if Buffalo will come out with a new model...

Either way... Any router that can run DD-WRT would be my recommendation. You get many more features and much more freedom with this router. You may not need a wireless router, but I purchased my Buffalo for $45 shipped. A wired router probably won't be much cheaper...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

why not get a router with wifi capability cause i know linksys wrt54g you can turn off the wireless and you might deside later that you want wireless or might buy a computer with a wireless card just something to think about and try updating the firmware on the router you have and try it, if it doesnt work then pitch it

tlarkin

VIP Member
if you go linksys make sure you get the WRT54GL version, because it has a whomping 32MB of RAM on it instead of a measily 16mb, not that it really matters, but Linksys designed that model specifically to run third party firmware, hence the L stands for Linux in the model name.

You can still get them off newegg

yup go to linksys.com look at the top of the page, not the browser and click downloads go to routers and access points click the drop down menu go to wireless routers find the picture of your router click the drop down menu select the model of your router then select the latest version of firmware if you need ne thing else like installing get back to me ill help ya through it

tlarkin

VIP Member
make sure you get the WRT54L version of the router, there is only one L version, it is better, higher spec'd and specifically designed to run third party firmware.

WestC07

if you go linksys make sure you get the WRT54GL version, because it has a whomping 32MB of RAM on it instead of a measily 16mb, not that it really matters, but Linksys designed that model specifically to run third party firmware, hence the L stands for Linux in the model name.

You can still get them off newegg

I completely agree. This is the router I use and it's well worth the extra. It's stable enough for wireless gaming too.

garethcia

banned
What would be a good buy or the best router to buy? I have a lynksys now that is 4 years old and may be giving me trouble, need something better. Not wireles.

Hiya pal,

Th best routers are most definatly the Draytek Vigor Series. www.draytek.com

I use them all the time, the bigger ones for commercial customers so i can create permanent VPN's etc and then the smaller ones for houses.

The cheapest place on the net for router etc is www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Draytek offer a web management facility aswell.

They are very reliable and will last you a life time.

Lane

yup go to linksys.com look at the top of the page, not the browser and click downloads go to routers and access points click the drop down menu go to wireless routers find the picture of your router click the drop down menu select the model of your router then select the latest version of firmware if you need ne thing else like installing get back to me ill help ya through it

O.K. got it downloaded, now my version is very old (1.39.1), how in the world do I apply the bin file that I downloaded. Also do I simply use the latest one at the top of the page or do I need to get every version on the page and go in sequence? There are no update buttons at all inside my current login of the router.
my router page. I downloaded version 1.46.2