Best security protection

crescere

The computer store guy talked me into Eset security. Now my VPN either won't connect or they have IP leaks. Even programs like word slowed way down or would not load. I removed Eset and all is well.

I put in free versions of Avast and Malwarebytes, and all seems OK. I dont mind paying for the best security possible, but my computer has to be free to work. What do you all use or recommend? I respect your opinions and thank you in advance for your help.

crescere

Beers I want to protect my entire computer. You name it; viruses, malware, hackers, stuff I don't even know about. I just read an article that the FBI can now hack your computer simply BECAUSE YOU USE A VPN. Check it out. Its called Rule 41.

beers

Staff member
weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

crescere

Beers I know you think you are being funny, but are you saying you do not use any security software? Why not be construrtive and give me some good advice? That is why I came here. Moderators like John have always been a big help. As for government hacking as of Dec 1 use of a VPN can be automaticly considered having a guilty intent. Google it.

Can anyone else give me some recommendations for computer security that does not interfere with the operations? Thank you to all serious contributors.

Agent Smith

He's referring to the articles that have been on the net about the Feds getting a hold of the VPN servers. So no, he's not tinfoil hat material. However, there are things you can do about that. I use VPN.AC and they now have double hop. So use that in a not so friendly country to the U.S. And since VPN.AC doesn't use port forwarding your IP won't be exposed. Disable WebRTC and ALWAYS clear cookies and cache. I find when I hit the clear all button in my browser Pale Moon, the HTML5 local storage goes away too which is a good thing. Then you need to disable Canvas fingerprinting in a not so, "I have no fingerprints" sort of way. In Pale Moon it's in about:config. Just search for the term canvas and make the boolean string from false to true.

Okay. Anti-virus and all that rot. Look no further than Bitdefender FREE or Immunet. They are very light weight, don't use an asinine amount of resources, plain and simple interface and are Cloud-based. It's all you need in terms of basic definition-based anti-virus. Then I would toss Ransomefree on there which has been developed by military cybersecurity experts to help guard against ransomware. Add Sandboxie to the bunch with access to the browser's profile to ease cumbersomeness and you are good to go. I would also use NoScript with base 2nd level domains on by default and throw in there uBlock to protect against malicious ADs which there are plenty. Now there are ADs which use Webrtc to grab your IP and try to get into your router turning it into a zombie. I can't tell you how many infected routers I see try to access my WordPress blog. All go to 403 land.

Also, check out Rollback Rx. This may help if things go awry. You have a boot option on Windows start. You press the Home key and use the arrow keys and Tab key to pick a restore snap shot to restore your computer to a time period when a virus did jack up and own you. Of course, nothing beats a nice clone to an external drive every once in a while. Note: Users of Truecrypt, Veracrypt, etc shouldn't use Rollback Rx. It will mess up your boot loader.

Or scratch all this carp and use Linux Mint in VMware Player for Internet browsing. LOL

crescere

Agent Smith, wow thanks for all that. I use PIA VPN, so should I drop them? You did not mention Malwarebytes. Do you use that? Do I add the apps like ransomfree, sandbox etc. to the Pale Moon browser? (Obviously I am not as sophisticated or smart as you)

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

Agent Smith

Agent Smith, wow thanks for all that. I use PIA VPN, so should I drop them? You did not mention Malwarebytes. Do you use that? Do I add the apps like ransomfree, sandbox etc. to the Pale Moon browser? (Obviously I am not as sophisticated or smart as you)

I just use the Malwarebytes scanner. RansomeFree is not a browser addon. It will run on your computer. https://ransomfree.cybereason.com/

PIA allows port forwarding and I have read some not too good things about them that say they do block this if you're not using it. I guess if you're not me and doing things you shouldn't be doing then I wouldn't worry about your VPN.

https://browserleaks.com/webrtc#webrtc-disable

It's not Sandbox, It's Sandboxie.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I run Sophos Home, they only offer a free version to consumers and allow you to install on up to 10 computers. Sophos is one of the larger providers to enterprise AV, no complaints.

https://www.sophos.com/lp/sophos-home.aspx

When it comes to VPN's, the government has always had the ability to look over the last ten years. It was called the patriot act. The only way to truly be secure is to run your own VPN through your home server or a VPS.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-14-04

crescere

I just use the Malwarebytes scanner. RansomeFree is not a browser addon. It will run on your computer. https://ransomfree.cybereason.com/

PIA allows port forwarding and I have read some not too good things about them that say they do block this if you're not using it. I guess if you're not me and doing things you shouldn't be doing then I wouldn't worry about your VPN.

https://browserleaks.com/webrtc#webrtc-disable

It's not Sandbox, It's Sandboxie.

Agent what is port forwarding and if it is bad can I disable it?

Agent Smith

Port forwarding allows a connection to be established to you, your IP address. This is great if you intend on hosting a game server, Tor, a teamspeak server, icecast server, etc. Basically a server is what I'm getting at. LOL In essence, something that serves. i.e, where a user can connect to YOU. You will not need this more than likely. Many who use a VPN don't need port forwarding at all and the main reason why anyone gets a VPN in the first place is to remain anonymous and have a secure connection. But with a VPN that allows this means the risk of your real IP address being exposed is there. This in its self defeats having a VPN in the first damn place. VPN.ac doesn't have a port forwarding capability so it's not possible to try and get someone's real IP.

In PIA, there is an on and off switch for port forwarding I guess. I haven't used their client in years. But I have read that even if it's off your IP can still be exposed. https://torrentfreak.com/huge-security-flaw-can-expose-vpn-users-real-ip-adresses-151126/

Apparently their new client is secure. I wouldn't risk it myself.

crescere

He's referring to the articles that have been on the net about the Feds getting a hold of the VPN servers. So no, he's not tinfoil hat material. However, there are things you can do about that. I use VPN.AC and they now have double hop. So use that in a not so friendly country to the U.S. And since VPN.AC doesn't use port forwarding your IP won't be exposed. Disable WebRTC and ALWAYS clear cookies and cache. I find when I hit the clear all button in my browser Pale Moon, the HTML5 local storage goes away too which is a good thing. Then you need to disable Canvas fingerprinting in a not so, "I have no fingerprints" sort of way. In Pale Moon it's in about:config. Just search for the term canvas and make the boolean string from false to true.

Okay. Anti-virus and all that rot. Look no further than Bitdefender FREE or Immunet. They are very light weight, don't use an asinine amount of resources, plain and simple interface and are Cloud-based. It's all you need in terms of basic definition-based anti-virus. Then I would toss Ransomefree on there which has been developed by military cybersecurity experts to help guard against ransomware. Add Sandboxie to the bunch with access to the browser's profile to ease cumbersomeness and you are good to go. I would also use NoScript with base 2nd level domains on by default and throw in there uBlock to protect against malicious ADs which there are plenty. Now there are ADs which use Webrtc to grab your IP and try to get into your router turning it into a zombie. I can't tell you how many infected routers I see try to access my WordPress blog. All go to 403 land.

Also, check out Rollback Rx. This may help if things go awry. You have a boot option on Windows start. You press the Home key and use the arrow keys and Tab key to pick a restore snap shot to restore your computer to a time period when a virus did jack up and own you. Of course, nothing beats a nice clone to an external drive every once in a while. Note: Users of Truecrypt, Veracrypt, etc shouldn't use Rollback Rx. It will mess up your boot loader.

Or scratch all this carp and use Linux Mint in VMware Player for Internet browsing. LOL

Agent, you said you see infected routers at your site. Is there a way to test for this is?

Geoff

VIP Member

I also use PIA. What do you use it for? The FBI really doesn't need to "hack" your computer, they can get access to basically your entire life by accessing accounts in your name, social media, seeing emails/texts/messages you send to people, etc. There's generally not very much stored locally on your computer that would be as valuable as what they can obtain from services that you are a part of.

crescere

I also use PIA. What do you use it for? The FBI really doesn't need to "hack" your computer, they can get access to basically your entire life by accessing accounts in your name, social media, seeing emails/texts/messages you send to people, etc. There's generally not very much stored locally on your computer that would be as valuable as what they can obtain from services that you are a part of.

Geoff, its more the fact that they CAN do this that bothers me. My favorite libertarian phrase is "I love my country, but I fear my government." It is true that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Just as there was TSA abuse with scanners this too will go too far.

Geoff

VIP Member
Geoff, its more the fact that they CAN do this that bothers me. My favorite libertarian phrase is "I love my country, but I fear my government." It is true that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Just as there was TSA abuse with scanners this too will go too far.
My point is, securing your home PC is such a very small part of your concern if you're worried about the government monitoring you.

Agent Smith

Agent, you said you see infected routers at your site. Is there a way to test for this is?

No. There's no test for this. What I see are attempted login requests to admin and the login page as well as XMLRPC requests from several IP addresses all the time every day that get blocked. All these IP addresses are legit ISPs from around the world and not hosting providers. There are many flaws with routers that allow an attacker to use your router as their own persoanlly zombie bot. So that is why I see this. The best thing you can do to make sure your router doesn't get infected is to maintain the router firmware updates and/or buy a router that isn't so vulnarable or has a third party firmware that isn't so prone to these types of attacks. I can name three third party firmware packages off the top of my head. DD-WRT, Tomato and Asus Merlin.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
unless you have done something wrong, why would you be worried about the FBI
How many people are there working in the FBI as a percentage of the population, that would make you think that they would want to look into the affairs of innocent civilians just for the hell of it. I understand there are a lot of malicious threats and the importance of security, but from the government?
If they have just cause they will just raid your house and take everything.