Best security protection

crescere

unless you have done something wrong, why would you be worried about the FBI
How many people are there working in the FBI as a percentage of the population, that would make you think that they would want to look into the affairs of innocent civilians just for the hell of it. I understand there are a lot of malicious threats and the importance of security, but from the government?
If they have just cause they will just raid your house and take everything.

The government authorities DO have people that do things for the hell of it just like the TSA scandels. If they do put malware into your computer it may cause connection or other problems. This is another example of go ernment ignoring privacy.

Geoff

VIP Member
No. There's no test for this. What I see are attempted login requests to admin and the login page as well as XMLRPC requests from several IP addresses all the time every day that get blocked. All these IP addresses are legit ISPs from around the world and not hosting providers. There are many flaws with routers that allow an attacker to use your router as their own persoanlly zombie bot. So that is why I see this. The best thing you can do to make sure your router doesn't get infected is to maintain the router firmware updates and/or buy a router that isn't so vulnarable or has a third party firmware that isn't so prone to these types of attacks. I can name three third party firmware packages off the top of my head. DD-WRT, Tomato and Asus Merlin.
I wouldn't say that's necessarily someone trying to hack you, rather they are just bots that scan public IP's trying common ports to see if SSH/FTP/Telnet etc. send a reply, and if so they try default passwords. This is why you don't want your home devices in the DMZ or directly connected to the modem with no firewall.

The government authorities DO have people that do things for the hell of it just like the TSA scandels. If they do put malware into your computer it may cause connection or other problems. This is another example of go ernment ignoring privacy.
I highly doubt they do it just for the hell of it. Now regular hackers and script kiddies, sure, but that's why you don't leave passwords as the default and make sure you have a decent firewall.

crescere

I wouldn't say that's necessarily someone trying to hack you, rather they are just bots that scan public IP's trying common ports to see if SSH/FTP/Telnet etc. send a reply, and if so they try default passwords. This is why you don't want your home devices in the DMZ or directly connected to the modem with no firewall.

I highly doubt they do it just for the hell of it. Now regular hackers and script kiddies, sure, but that's why you don't leave passwords as the default and make sure you have a decent firewall.

Is the Windows firewall good?

Geoff

VIP Member
Is the Windows firewall good?
I'm more talking about your network firewall. A router that performs NAT does a great job at hiding your LAN devices, but a quality router will have an adequate firewall as well. Basically you don't want common ports on your WAN IP to respond to a probe unless you need them to, such as hosting a server, but in that case you want to make sure you have a software firewall on those devices and have strong passwords.

Agent Smith

This is one of my WordPress websites, not a router. They are query XMLRPC, Admin URLs and WP-login.

Far as routers go, they are only as good as their firmware.

ramirez

Webroot security essentials, Trend Micro, Norton Internet Security......I am using ESET now and do not have any issues

Barney H.Leach

Avast and Kaspersky will be a better option against the virus. To add to this, Norton security and Avira are also good. At times you can use the malware scanners too. It will be a great help. The issue with the disconnection of the VPN will be due to the slow internet connection. Check out for your internet connection and make sure that it stays stable. Hope this will help you.