Best spyware software

Adam Warren

Hey everybody, I was just wondoring what you think the best software for spyware is? I am curently using spybot and ad-aware, i was just curious to konw what you guys think is the best!

Tha Killa

I have heard that SpySweeper by Webroot is good (from PC Magazine, Editor's Choice). And a friend of mine has said that Microsoft's Anti-Spyware software is good. (you can probably find that at www.microsoft.com for free)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
actually the MS AntiSpyware system is pretty good, they bought GIANT AntiSpyware. When ever something makes a registry entry that it doesn't recognize it tells you about it.

Lax

VIP Member
I'm a big SS supporter, I usually find that it finds stuff that some/most other programs don't. It's easy to use and doesn't consume much memory for realtime blocking.

Jon Boy

Spyware nuker It looks good and I find it finds spyware that other programmes dont.

lol why isnt this in the software section? lol
Erm it is as far as I know or were you joking.

dave597

VIP Member
Jon Boy said:
Spyware nuker It looks good and I find it finds spyware that other programmes dont.

Erm it is as far as I know or were you joking.
thats cos he moved it.

and why isnt this called best anti-spyware software?! :p i can think of some great sites hosting spyware (software)!

Jon Boy

lol did not know he moved it it just looked to me like he had a memory relapse or something.
and why isnt this called best anti-spyware software?! i can think of some great sites hosting spyware (software)!
Ok I have no idea what you are on about lol but im sure it makes sense :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have Spybot installed but i dont recall the last time ive needed or cared to run it .... ah the benifits of whitelisting :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly is whitelisting?
In a firewall whitelisting refers to where you have a list of "ok" stuff ... anything explicitly not included in that list it blocked; so if I dont authorize www.whatever.com then it gets blocked (yes I have to authorize everything but once its established life is good). Depending on the firewall you can get pretty picky such as:
- Program = IE
- Version = <blah>
- Protocol = 6
- Local ip = <blah>
- Local port = <blah>
- Remote ip = 64.191.70.9
- Remote Port = 80
- Direction = outbound
- Rule = allow
Thats a sample rule that allows for a given application to access ComputerForum. You can get even pickier by adding rules that are time sensitive and/or user-sensitive

Furthermore, you [can] also whitelist processes ... hehe which makes things kinda funny if you forget to make a rule for logonui.exe -- you cant launch the login screen program :p You can also control how that application is launched (i.e., whether it's launched by explorer.exe or some other application launches it etc)

Yer ? I am I whitelisted and what is it.
HUh?