For the same price I could get both these setups (gaming purposes btw) :

Processor : AMD 3800+ X2 AM2
Motherboard : M2N-SLI Deluxe
RAM : Kingston HyperX DDR2-750 2x1Gb

or

Processor : AMD 3800+ X2 S939
Motherboard : A8N-SLI Deluxe
RAM : Kingston HyperX DDR400 2x1Gb

Could I get some opinions about which of these setups would perform better since they're both costing about the same?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Geoff

VIP Member
The AM2 setup would be the best performing system, and it will last you longer if you plan to upgrade later on.

I would go with DDR2-800 memory instead. I dont know why you picked DDR2-750.

ckfordy

banned
Go with the AM2 setup cause thats AMD'S new socket and as OMEGA said get DDR2 800 it will perform better and it will be the motherboards reccomended speed of ram.

Filip

There will be slim to none performance difference, and the only advantage of AM2 is that you can upgarde to new AMD cpu lines couse AMD isn't making new cpu's for skt. 939, and the 2nd thing is that it has DDR2 (well, I wouldn't say it's an advantage... for now, it operates at lower voltage though, aorund 2V) RAM is faster however, latiencies are alot higher, I myself, can see more performance increase if the latencies are lower than if the RAM speed is higher.

Last edited:

Habanerosky

i have the Asus A8N32-sli deluxe, and it's an excellent mobo for overclocking and gaming; just so you know that you wouldnt be killing yourself by not getting the AM2...

Geoff

VIP Member
filip-matijevic said:
There will be slim to none performance difference, and the only advantage of AM2 is that you can upgarde to new AMD cpu lines couse AMD isn't making new cpu's for skt. 939, and the 2nd thing is that it has DDR2 (well, I wouldn't say it's an advantage... for now, it operates at lower voltage though, aorund 2V) RAM is faster however, latiencies are alot higher, I myself, can see more performance increase if the latencies are lower than if the RAM speed is higher.
Tests show an average of 1-5% performance increase over an identical 939 setup.

And rumors say that all AM2 processors have the "reverse HT" built in, its just not enabled yet.

Aragor

I put DDR2-750 because going to DDR2-800 means paying like 100-120$ +...

Is the performance difference between those 2 worth the money?

holyjunk

[-0MEGA-] said:
Tests show an average of 1-5% performance increase over an identical 939 setup.

And rumors say that all AM2 processors have the "reverse HT" built in, its just not enabled yet.
Like intel did with theirs. Is there anyway to find out if it is on the cpu though?

ckfordy

banned
Newbii said:
I would go with AM2 because the RAM DDR2 is suppose to run faster than DDR

I'm still a newbii :p

Intel has DDR2 and the new cpu Core 2 Duo is coming out and will be alot better then AM2.