Best Version of Linux

Hawk16

I was just wondering what is the best version of linux? (im a bit of a newb to linux so yea) cause i heard there is more than 1 version of linux so i wanted to kno which is the best cause i felt like trying linux cause im pretty bored
so yea.. all help will be appreciated
~HaWk16

Hawk16

hmm.. accually lemme rephrase the question
which version of linux is most user friendly for a newbie?

ilovefishsticks

I'm about The Fedora Core 4.
same here. ive used debian, suse, mandrake i used for a wile, fedora core 3, and fedora core 4.... out of them all fedora core was my favorite. I love how its set up. If you use windows now, its easy to get the program vmware, if you have a computer that can handle doing this, and you can run fedora core while running windows, both at once. its great, you can surf the web on linux and use its great mulitasking and programs, wile still within seconds go back to windows if u wanna play a game or use a program only availible on windows.

to answer your question fedora core 4, and trailing behind FC4 is FC3.

Hawk16

ilovefishsticks said:
same here. ive used debian, suse, mandrake i used for a wile, fedora core 3, and fedora core 4.... out of them all fedora core was my favorite. I love how its set up. If you use windows now, its easy to get the program vmware, if you have a computer that can handle doing this, and you can run fedora core while running windows, both at once. its great, you can surf the web on linux and use its great mulitasking and programs, wile still within seconds go back to windows if u wanna play a game or use a program only availible on windows.

to answer your question fedora core 4, and trailing behind FC4 is FC3.

Hmm... what about fedora core 5? cause if i check the fedora core website the FC5 version is out. is it better than FC4?

ahajv4life

Haven't tryed it yet. I believe it jsut came out not all that long ago (witihin the past 3 months)....so she's still pretty new. But I know a lot of people have used FC4, so if you have problems, you're more likely to get help, as to the idea that FC5 is so new, not so many people will hajve answers for you.

youtin

I've tried using Ubuntu and Konqueror. Ubuntu performs well for me, but Konqueror leaves much to be desired... (or maybe it's just the crappy computers/computer technicians at my school)

Sacrinyellow5

I'm thinking about installing a version on an older computer a P2, is there a user friendly version for that old of a system?

Flipper

Fedora core is wretched, I absolutely hate it. Yes ubuntu is somewhat newb linux, but is really the basis of you learning all about it once you install it.

Flipper

Knoppix? The one that runs on a CD? Must kill your disc drive after a while..not to mention to not be able to save anything?

solarwind

Flipper said:
Fedora core is wretched, I absolutely hate it. Yes ubuntu is somewhat newb linux, but is really the basis of you learning all about it once you install it.

LOL
ROFLMAO

Same. Absolutely wretched. I love SUSE though. Suse 10.1 is going to be released this thursday. It's the best in my opinion. It's not too noobish, but has a nice gui and lots of features. Ubuntu is nice too, it's not "nooby" like what people think it is, all you have to do is learn the linux console commands to take advantage of linux's features. Overall, I recommend SUSE. LINUX ROCKS!

B-MAN

If you want to jump into the deep pool try gentoo. There are alot of toys and other people to help you in that deep pool. If you take gentoo as first distro (like i did) you will earn about linux very fast.
It also optimizes for your system and settings so you will get a good performance. Als it doesn't come with a standard GUI so you can choose the GUI that your computer can handle.
Installing programs in gentoo can be done with a single command 90% of the time.

check gentoo.org. Most people that use it stick with it.