*Beta* Black Hole Benchmark V5

Calin

What OC did you have on the 8350? I had my FX-8320 at 4.6GHz and seemed to do fine with 1080p and an R9 390, but Darren is limited to 4.3GHz because of his motherboard.

Edit: gonna run this test on both my laptops, and my little brother's PC for fun :p

Reactions: C4C

Darren

Staff member
What OC did you have on the 8350? I had my FX-8320 at 4.6GHz and seemed to do fine with 1080p and an R9 390, but Darren is limited to 4.3GHz because of his motherboard.

Edit: gonna run this test on both my laptops, and my little brother's PC for fun :p

I got a better motherboard now and am just thermally limited. Probably could sit at 4.5 or so if I had a better cooler. Wouldn't make much of a difference though. Main games I notice it choking are Cities: Skylines, Just Cause 3, and GTA V at times. It performs great for the most part but there are distinct and noticeable instances of it killing my frames. Like 20 FPS in Torchlight 2 when it hits the fan and there's a lot going at once. Meanwhile my friend on an i5 laptop is holding steady. Friggin single core man.

Reactions: C4C

Darren

Staff member
That game is just... purely cpu bounded I find. A heavily modded cities skylines with around 80k population gives me like 20-30fps average.
Yup. I mod mine to hell and am pretty comfortable 45-60 FPS but once I hit around 40K people it starts to churn. I play almost always on max speed or double speed and if I zoom in much I instantly tank to 30FPS or lower. It's pretty much the only game that going below 45 FPS doesn't make me rip my hair out.

I have noticed that this game makes EXCELLENT usage of my 8 cores. Which makes me a very happy man. :D My now ex-roommate ran noticeably worse on his FX 6300 and R9 380 than I did with my 8320 and 7970 (similar to 380 perf).

Intel_man

VIP Member
Welp. Makes me happy to hear it chugs for you too. For my sake. :D
Game engine limitation man... can't use any of my hardware to it's advantage. ;)

I did gain about 10-20 fps on average by upgrading from my i7 920 to my current W3690 though, but when the game tanks... it REALLY tanks hard.

Darren

Staff member
Game engine limitation man... can't use any of my hardware to it's advantage. ;)

I did gain about 10-20 fps on average by upgrading from my i7 920 to my current W3690 though, but when the game tanks... it REALLY tanks hard.
I can't really blame it though considering it's simulating the basic life cycle of up to hundreds of thousands of people at once. I like picking a specific person, using the first person camera mod, and just following them around for a while to see what their life is. Pretty interesting.

I'll run the bench when I get home from vacation on my 8320 to see how it fares.

BHTec_zps1a31dnbr.png

Intel i7 960 @stock

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Yeah for sure.. I just wonder, given the age of this thread and fact the OP hasn't been around in months, if he is even still developing this software.

Hi there,
It's still in development. Some months ago I encountered a bug only occurring on skylake CPUs in the floating calcs. As of skylake has 2 FP adders, the bench only used one. This I fixed in the meantime, but I've had some exams forcing me to slow down with some things.
This however is in favor of Ryzen as it's a totally new architecture and the benchmark will need some throughout testing to make sure everything runs fine on the AMD front as well. I'll be more active here and keep you updated when Ryzen samples arrive.

Laquer Head

Hi there,
It's still in development. Some months ago I encountered a bug only occurring on skylake CPUs in the floating calcs. As of skylake has 2 FP adders, the bench only used one. This I fixed in the meantime, but I've had some exams forcing me to slow down with some things.
This however is in favor of Ryzen as it's a totally new architecture and the benchmark will need some throughout testing to make sure everything runs fine on the AMD front as well. I'll be more active here and keep you updated when Ryzen samples arrive.

My bad then,..

Glad to see you're still doing your thing!!!!

Calin

This thread is pretty much dead but since the OP has been active recently I decided to give it a shot.
0d54186c48872b996e3d12129b84748a.jpg

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Hi,
Yes, I was waiting on my ryzen sample as well :)
The benchmark is currently back to developing phase as ryzen seems to have problems with some and that's what we're sorting out.
We hope to get the RC out in July

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Hi everyone, stable version is almost ready, but I lack results for broadwell-E, skylake & kaby lake, PM me if you've one of these CPUs

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
The Beta can be tested from now on; this is the finalizing phase before publishing! Beware that the exe will have problems with some virus scanners as I'm not yet registered as trusted developer.
Enjoy the new test and hopefully I don't have too many bugs to fix!

Give it a run

Last edited: