Better School for Computer Science.

digitalelf

Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledgeable input on the relative superiority of either school in terms of quality of undergraduate computer science education, general ties to the software industry, and prestige in that field:

University of Maryland - College Park
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

Thanks.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I would go down to a local Barnes and Noble and check out there college review section. See if any of the books have some information on the school's tech programs.

As a matter of preference, go UofM!!! I'll always bleed Maize and Blue :)

suprasteve

definitely apply to both, as well as a safety school or two, but look up the rankings online, like princeton review or even look at the schools' profiles on collegeboard, should help you get a better idea

Jerkstore

University of Waterloo in Waterloo Ontario has one of the best computer engineering degrees in North America. Very technology oriented city and surrounding area.
They're pretty much the cock-of-the-walk.

dhaynes

dciscouts said:
I would go down to a local Barnes and Noble and check out there college review section. See if any of the books have some information on the school's tech programs.

As a matter of preference, go UofM!!! I'll always bleed Maize and Blue :)

I'm a computer science major at UofM and I'm pretty sure UofM is ranked higher than Maryland. UofM is constantly ranked as one of the best engineer schools in the country so you can't go wrong with that (When I came here we were ranked #7). Check out the U.S. News College Rankings too be sure. And yeah, Go Blue! :D

digitalelf

U.S. News & World doesn't rank undergraduate CS programs. Check out some tentative undergrad. CS program rankings via Google and you'll find that Maryland is consistently ranked higher than UMAA in that area. Both schools obviously have very good programs; when the ranking is this close, there really is no difference. But I think Maryland focuses more on actual software development and Michigan emphasizes a more engineering-focused curriculum.

suprasteve

dhaynes said:
we were ranked #7
GA Tech's like 5 or 6...hell yeah (just kidding that's worse than nerd wars). My neighbor/friend is a CS major and it's one of the hardest majors but I'm sure it's up there in rankings, if you're interested