better Wireless program than the XP built in?

TyJammer

I have a new laptop that I use only on the road, grabing free wifi hotspots where I can find them. My friend who does something similar has an Intel program to manage his wireless network connection options, and he said that it is heads above the XP wireless connection that comes standard, and which I have been using.
Problem is, he's out of town for awhile (so he can't help me with this), and I need to get something better rocking if possible, I've been having allot of weak signal dillemas at the cafes and whatnot that I surf at.
So does anyone know what he was taling about? If it needs to be bought, is it terribly expensive?
I don't know if hardware matters, but I have a Dell Inspiron laptop and whatever external wireless Dell card they give with it.

Thanks.

YourDreamSystem

well the dell wireless cards dont have much range. the antennas arent designed as well as a pcmcia card is. most embedded wireless chips are weak. the broadcomm ones are ok. I dont think that laptop uses the broadcomm chipset. if it does there should be firmware updates for it.