Beware - Newegg "Egg Saver" Shipping

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah USPS priority mail is pretty good. The regular USPS ground shipping is what i was talking about.
Ah, you mean like parcel post? Whenever I've gone to ship packages priority mail has always been only a few dollars more then parcel post, and only a few cents more for small packages. I choose USPS Priority whenever I can.

StrangleHold

Staff member
With USPS 3 Day Priority Mail is pretty good, the only thing is if its something small, USPS is the worse to (lose) it:(. Thats what I use to ship stuff back or out. Tried the USPS regular ground shipping once to Texas and it took forever to get there. Called and asked them if they paid a illegal on a donkey to take it.

Last edited:

theasian100

[-0MEGA-];1131782 said:
I ordered a wireless mouse for my laptop. It's still in stock now.

Are you sure that was Egg Saver (3-7 Day) and not the UPS 3-Day saver shipping?

yep yep 100% Pos

just a noob

seems to me that newegg switched from giving free 3 day shipping or whatever it was, over to standard ups, wish they offered a cheaper option than 3 day, though, going to cost me 30 dollars to get a server chassis delivered to me(80 dollar chassis) but, what i can't understand is, my mother recently ordered a large(and heavy) tile saw(75 pounds+) and we didn't have to pay at all for shipping

On November 10 DHL announced that due to economic uncertainty they were ceasing all domestic air and ground operations, so that probably is a contributing factor as they shut down their hubs across the US.(http://www.dhl-usa.com/restructuring/domupdate.asp)

The only time I've had something shipped to me via DHL was when I had to RMA my motherboard--it was shipped ground from California (I live in Connecticut) and I had it in three days.

When a package is "shipped" it doesn't mean that that is necessarily when it physically enters the shipper's network. It means that the package has been sealed and a shipping label has been printed for it, ie, billing information received. If this happens after FedEx/UPS/USPS makes their pick up for the day then it will say it was shipped but won't actually be picked up until the next business day. When I order something from Newegg on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll usually get an email before Monday with a tracking number that its been shipped, but UPS and FedEx don't pick up on Saturdays or Sundays.

Also, the handoff from DHL to USPS isn't a factor...all they do is deliver it to the post office like they are mailing a package. Not a source for delays.

Newegg never had free shipping on all of their items. On alot of items they had free shipping, but on alot of it they charged shipping. As we all know nothing in this world is free, the cost of shipping is built into the cost of the item. By offering the slower shipping it lets them lower the price of the item.

Finally, as noted above, it is the holiday season. The mail and parcel systems are at peak capacity, and your package being shipped over the Thanksgiving holiday certainly doesn't help.

Geoff

VIP Member
Also, the handoff from DHL to USPS isn't a factor...all they do is deliver it to the post office like they are mailing a package. Not a source for delays.

Newegg never had free shipping on all of their items. On alot of items they had free shipping, but on alot of it they charged shipping. As we all know nothing in this world is free, the cost of shipping is built into the cost of the item. By offering the slower shipping it lets them lower the price of the item.

Finally, as noted above, it is the holiday season. The mail and parcel systems are at peak capacity, and your package being shipped over the Thanksgiving holiday certainly doesn't help.
First, I'd say it does make a difference. If DHL hands a package over to USPS, it may not be shipped out from USPS until the next pickup time (which could be 4-5PM in some locations). So instead of DHL simply going directly from KY to NH, they go to KY to MA for a few hours then to NH, which could amount for an extra day if the timing is right.

I know Newegg never had free shipping on ALL of their items, what I meant was the items that did have free shipping used to be shipped via UPS. I actually watched the prices on Newegg, and in a particular instance an item was say $10 with $4 shipping, then it went on sale for $13 with free shipping, and then back down to $10 with $4 shipping.

Yes the holiday season can be slower, but I had my other item shipped via USPS here in 3 business days over the same weekend.

philhu

I think the problem is such...

When you use UPS, FedEx, etc, they quote a timeframe, but always try to, and usually do, beat it. And you always see the package moving through the system. That is the gratification.

UPS quotes 7-10 days west coast to east coast, ground. People usually see it in 4 days over here. People are happy.

DHL actually SLOWS down to the max delivery period that was promised. If you are told 4-7 day, they slow it down to get there in 7 days. I live in Massachusetts, a pkg using DHL has been in E.Rutherford, NJ as 'leaving delivery center' for 2.5 days now.

Most carriers want to move the pkgs out, not store them. DHL has a very convoluted idea of service. On a 4-7 day quote, I would like to try for 4 days if I was them, and live with 7, but looking at their screens, they are PURPOSELY SLOWING down the deliveries. So they aim for 7, and usually miss by a day or 2! Heck, the USPS handoff takes a full business day!

I was quoted 4-7 days, I am on business day 4, pkg stuck somewhere out of E.Rutherford, NJ, still waiting for the handoff to USPS.

Again, if it was me, I'd pass those pkgs off to USPS ASAP. Get them out of my (DHL) hands!

What does it pay for them to hold pkgs? I don't get it

PohTayToez

I doubt they're intentionally slowing down packages. More likely they just don't run every route every day which is probably how they save money... fewer trucks and fewer workers.

I think USPS is a big factor here as well, they are the most unreliable for package delivery.

Geoff

VIP Member
Since then they've gone back to UPS 3 day shipping for most free shipping, which is much nicer!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
[-0MEGA-];1655051 said:
Since then they've gone back to UPS 3 day shipping for most free shipping, which is much nicer!

The small things like memory and flash drives still have egg saver available.

Sdot

They are human

The people who work at newegg and ups are both human, they are bound to mess up every now and again