BFG GeForce 9800 GTX + My Specs + Any Others V.C's ?

erebusting

I have been looking for a new video card lately, and I am new to all the video card technology out now. I did some research and came across this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=4302063&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs
seems like its supposed to be a pretty good card and that is a decent price right now (seems like it). I am not willing to spend more than 140, but would like to spend under 100 if possible.

I wanted to get any advice from you guys, maybe is there another card I should get? ...I want to play games -such as Fallout 3, COD WAW, maybe crysis (I understand that the demands for that game are high so I do not need to be able to play that one, but the others are a must)....also I would like to watch movies on my TV through my PC, most preferably HD quality at the least?....
_____
My specs are :
*Windows XP Pro (I have XP Pro 64bit as well to go with the 4gbs explained below)
*2GB ram ...(I have another 2gb stick to make it 4gb total, but the drivers dont seem to work right with the audio...I think a few other things as well..)
*Pentium D Dual Core - ( 2.8 Ghz)
*ECS pt890T-a Mother board
_____

I hope you guys can help me out I am confused when it comes to video cards now a days...

Thanks in advance everyone!

Core2Deano

Hey there,

came across this post because im going to buy that card..only difference is mine is a 'black edition' http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=35804

anywho, im running my 9600gt right now and play those games well (minus crysis :mad:) but i hate to tell you this (really i do) but theres a certain limit to your gaming with a pentium D. If you were to get this card you'd be 'bottlenecking' your system (the card cant work as well as it should) because of the slow CPU. I know this because i used to run my 9600GT with a pentium D 3.0Ghz and it was rediculous. Sorry to be a pain but yeah, look into a cheap Core2 .. even a 7300 or something. I understand theyre cheap atm.

Hope i helped.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
My specs are :
*Windows XP Pro (I have XP Pro 64bit as well to go with the 4gbs explained below)
*2GB ram ...(I have another 2gb stick to make it 4gb total, but the drivers dont seem to work right with the audio...I think a few other things as well..)
*Pentium D Dual Core - ( 2.8 Ghz)
*ECS pt890T-a Mother board

These days games are generally created for Vista.
2GB is fine on XP, but if you're stepping up to Vista, you might wanna stick that second stick in.

And as said, the Pentium D would be a major bottleneck to the rest of the system.

Circuit_breaker

I'm new to computerforum, and I can not figure out how to post anything including a new thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

erebusting

How bad will it be?

Do you guys have any idea of how bad it would be if I do not get a new cpu?....would my current Pentium D be bottlenecking it way too much?....any ideas?..

Thanks all!!

edit:

Also, could anyone recommend a good socket 775 cpu?
* (something under $200, under $100 even if possible)....
*(something that will provide equal to or greater than my current speed listed above)...
**i.e. would a core 2 duo @ 2.20 ghz be actually better?...etc...
-I didnt want to have to swap out a whole motherboard, thats sort of a pain! haha....
-any advice?..

Thanks again everybody!

Last edited:

Core2Deano

Wow deja'vu` here, i was in your exact situation a few months ago (same processor and all creepy lol) okay so: With your processor not enough processing power will be feeding the graphics card. For example if you had say.. a 7900GT 256mb (roughly suited to a pentium d) you would get a tear inducing 18 - 23 frames per second on Fallout 3 and worse on Call of Duty @ 1024x800 with AA .. etc. If you hooked up a new 9800GTX you'd be lucky to see an increase of 8 - 10 FPS thanks to Mr Pentium D, thus 'bottleneck'.

Please post your type of motherboard in reply so i can take a look. What you want to do is get a nice Core2 duo e8500/8400 or 7 series. You will be blazing. I understand they're quite cheap in American .. not here in Australia though o_O. Anyway please feel free to ask anything else mate, good luck

erebusting

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the reply/help!

I have an ECS PT890T-A motherboard. It takes a socket 775 CPU (obvioiusly since that is what pentium D's are right?)...So I would need a new CPU then? I was thinking about this one....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

a core 2 duo 2.8Ghz.... does a socket LGA 775 make any difference or is that the same thing?

Would that cpu handle it all smoothly?...is there another CPU that is around the same cost with better performance?

BTW: I have a 650 watt PSU

Thank you all for the help!...

Vizy

I'm selling a XFX 9600GT factory OCed gfx card. The thread is in my sig, pm me if you are interested.

Core2Deano

Thanks for the reply/help!

I have an ECS PT890T-A motherboard. It takes a socket 775 CPU (obvioiusly since that is what pentium D's are right?)...So I would need a new CPU then? I was thinking about this one....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

a core 2 duo 2.8Ghz.... does a socket LGA 775 make any difference or is that the same thing?

Would that cpu handle it all smoothly?...is there another CPU that is around the same cost with better performance?

BTW: I have a 650 watt PSU

Thank you all for the help!...

Beautiful! Yeah that cpu will run great with the 9800GTX+ it says 775 socket so it'll fit no problem. If you wanted to spend a little more you can get a Core2 Duo e8400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=e8400 which is much faster.

erebusting

Or should I go for a quad???
mind that I do not want to spend too much- 119.99 was a pretty decent price and is about the highest I would go -If possible...

I appreciate all of your help! (Especially you Core2Deano!! )

-Would this C2Q stack up better than the C2D I posted myself earlier...

http://www.stalliontek.com/product_p/cpc4d-q6400.htm

or would it make much of a difference to get this one: (even though this is alittle too much $ for me)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

? I know the GHz is less, but since it is quad cores, would that make it better?...
would it be worth the price difference ? (~111.00 vs ~150.00) ?

Thanks guys!
I really need your advice!

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Or should I go for a quad???
mind that I do not want to spend too much- 119.99 was a pretty decent price and is about the highest I would go -If possible...

I appreciate all of your help! (Especially you Core2Deano!! )

-Would this C2Q stack up better than the C2D I posted myself earlier...

http://www.stalliontek.com/product_p/cpc4d-q6400.htm

or would it make much of a difference to get this one: (even though this is alittle too much $ for me)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

? I know the GHz is less, but since it is quad cores, would that make it better?...
would it be worth the price difference ? (~111.00 vs ~150.00) ?

Thanks guys!
I really need your advice!

Your mobo won't support a quad. According to the product specs at the ECS website, it will support up to a Core 2 Duo, so the E7400 may work.

Dudes, how to i post visitor msgs?

You have to have 100 posts

cyber_tublu

consider ATI HD4870....YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT......itis capable of kicking GTX280 in most games and obviously GTX260 and all... at a price which is just too fantastic

erebusting

consider ATI HD4870....YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT......itis capable of kicking GTX280 in most games and obviously GTX260 and all... at a price which is just too fantastic

damn thanks for that, as I am new to the video card game...haha
but yeah man that looks nice..checked out a few things about it-wtf gddr5? lol....
but any ways, I like it, but its a little over my personal limit right now, I got the BFG 9800gtx 512mb OC edition for 134.99 (after rebate)....I think it should hold me off for a while- what do you guys think??

Your mobo won't support a quad. According to the product specs at the ECS website, it will support up to a Core 2 Duo, so the E7400 may work.

I was planning on upgrading the mobo if I decide to get the c2q, anyways if I just stick to the C2D I would still have to change the mobo if I want good performance because the mobo would bottleneck it (i think)...

but besides all that..... this thread was about if the BFG 9800gtx 512mb OC edition would work nicely with the hardware that I already have?....for instance I mainly hear that my CPU would bottle neck the GPU?...what do you guys think?....(I get my card on Wednesday so ill let you know)-since I was planning on trying the card out first and if it is unbearable then I would upgrade--Otherwise I would wait to upgrade....

Thanks for all the help, but can you answer that question?

THANKS ALL!