BFG nForce 650i

Geoff

VIP Member
Out of curiosity, do you mean the 650i or the 680i?

From reviews i've read, the 650i is a great mid-ranged chipset, but severely lacks overclocking and tweaking options that the 680i offers.

boozi

[-0MEGA-];694159 said:
Out of curiosity, do you mean the 650i or the 680i?

From reviews i've read, the 650i is a great mid-ranged chipset, but severely lacks overclocking and tweaking options that the 680i offers.

I was thinking about the 650i. Hmmmm... The 650i's price is very attractive, but I'm not so sure it supports SLi... Does it? Ah crap, seems like the BFG motherboard isn't SLi-compatible either... Should I go for the SLi option if I want to buy the following?
Processor -
Dual Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz

Video Card -
eVGA 8500 GT 256MB PCI-E

Note: Just found the following motherboard - Asus SLi-compatible
Looks decent, doesn't it? Also, SLi-compatible (XP). It has some problems with Vista, though. I'm not planning on upgrading to Vista in a while, so I don't mind.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Dont get the 8500GT, it's a horrible card, even two of them. I wouldnt get anything less then an 8600GTS for the 8 series. For the price of the 8500GT, you can buy a better 7 series card.

wizle

In a few years where do you think the SLI technology will be?
We will all be trying to keep up :D

boozi

[-0MEGA-];694226 said:
Dont get the 8500GT, it's a horrible card, even two of them. I wouldnt get anything less then an 8600GTS for the 8 series. For the price of the 8500GT, you can buy a better 7 series card.

Really? So should I just drop the SLi mobo?

In a few years where do you think the SLI technology will be?
We will all be trying to keep up :D
Also... Do you think you can either of you explain to me a little about SLi? Much appreciated :)
Note: Just found another good card... What do you think?
ZOGIS GeForce 7600GS 512MB
This one as well: eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB
Last but not least: GIGABYTE 7300GT 256MB

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Really? So should I just drop the SLi mobo?

Also... Do you think you can either of you explain to me a little about SLi? Much appreciated :)
Note: Just found another good card... What do you think?
ZOGIS GeForce 7600GS 512MB
If you want to SLI two low/mid ranged cards, dont even think about it. You would be much better off buying a single high-end card.

You dont have to drop the SLI motherboard, but you probably wont need it right away.

Cleric7x9

i have the ASUS 650 p5n-e sli and i LOVE it. it has every overclocking option imaginable including tiny voltage increments. it supports dual and quad core CPU up to 1333 FSB, 4 GB RAM, and its cheap. the only bad thing is it has problem recognizing memory timings, so i had to enter them myself. but i highly recommend the board