big overheat problem

quesuerte

Heya!

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz and it has a major cooling problem. It's running on stock settings, but is getting up to about 120ºC. I've bought a bigger fan (Nexus PHT-7750 Skive Tek Silent 775 CPU Cooler) to replace the standard Intel one and made sure the thermal paste is on there properly, but it hasn't made any difference! The case is a bit on the small side, it's a micro tower case.

It slowly climbs up to 120ºC over a period of about 3 minutes. It automatically shuts down just after this. I took the chip out and looked at it and it looked like new. I've tried with different amounts of paste and there isn't really any difference with a little or with a lot.

By the time I manage to get into the BIOS by pressing del to see the temperature, it's already at 60ºC.

Any ideas?

Many thanks! :D

Last edited:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Make sure the HSF is properly-seated. Sometimes they can get caught up on nearby capacitors; even a millimeter off can cause higher than normal temps.

kal2509

Heya!

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz and it has a major cooling problem. It's running on stock settings, but is getting up to about 120ºC. I've bought a bigger fan (Nexus PHT-7750 Skive Tek Silent 775 CPU Cooler) to replace the standard Intel one and made sure the thermal paste is on there properly, but it hasn't made any difference! The case is a bit on the small side, it's a micro tower case.

It slowly climbs up to 120ºC over a period of about 3 minutes. It automatically shuts down just after this. I took the chip out and looked at it and it looked like new. I've tried with different amounts of paste and there isn't really any difference with a little or with a lot.

By the time I manage to get into the BIOS by pressing del to see the temperature, it's already at 60ºC.

Any ideas?

Many thanks! :D

im afraid this will happen when i build my computer, something completely random.... uggg

[trs]ALUMINUM

I think its your sensor because 45nm quads barely get to 60C at full load. Try to call up the manufactures and see what they say about it first.

PabloTeK

It should have kicked out long before 120 centigrade. When the system shuts down carefully feel the base of the CPU cooler. If it's really cool then it's not contacting the CPU enough. If it's really hot then it's not dissapating the heat effectively which means your fans aren't doing their job. The cooler base should be fairly warm after a few minutes.