Bing and Microsoft Edge

Polecat

I got on this site several months ago and someone told me how to stop Bing from popping up constantly. It worked for awhile, but it has started
popping back up. Sometimes Microsoft Edge pops up as well. How do I RID MYSELF of Bing FOREVER????????????

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Bing is a search engine. Remove the search engine from your browser. You may also inadvertently be clicking on something on a page that will make bing be your homepage, which is my theory here since I just read the original thread you created back in May. As long as you have your default browser set up correctly in default apps and remove bing from the search engines available in that browser then you should be fine. If you are using firefox as your default browser then make sure you have it setup correctly per the following images.

default browser.jpgSearch engine.jpg

Highlight bing and then click on remove. Once you select firefox as your default browser, no other browser should open when clicking on links. If firefox isn't listed as it does in the pic then you just click on the box and change it to firefox. See image 3. Also do this. Open task manager, Click on the startup tab, disable any items that are related to Edge. Sometimes it will show up here and auto start in the background. Default apps.jpg

Polecat

I am about to pull every strand of my hair out!!!! I have tried everything under the sun to get Bing from popping up and slowing me down but
nothing works over a week or two. I have deleted Bing from all search engines. IS THERE ANYTHING I can do to rid myself of BING?????????

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I moved your new thread into this one since its the same issue.

Can we please get some screenshots of what you are actually seeing so we can give you better help. I've asked for screenshots and have not gotten them.

I'm still guessing when you are browsing you are clicking on things that will make bing pop up or be your default search engine. Only you can stop that.

Polecat

I moved your new thread into this one since its the same issue.

Can we please get some screenshots of what you are actually seeing so we can give you better help. I've asked for screenshots and have not gotten them.

I'm still guessing when you are browsing you are clicking on things that will make bing pop up or be your default search engine. Only you can stop that.
I was working and all of a sudden the attached screen shot appeared.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    510.5 KB · Views: 7

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so did you change your default browser to whatever you want? I don't think you did. Cause if you click on certain links it will open edge as the browser. Also open edge browser and see what is set as the home page. Also If you have edge icon pinned to your taskbar, right click the icon and click on unpin from taskbar, but the edge window must be closed first.

Polecat

Ok so did you change your default browser to whatever you want? I don't think you did. Cause if you click on certain links it will open edge as the browser. Also open edge browser and see what is set as the home page. Also If you have edge icon pinned to your taskbar, right click the icon and click on unpin from taskbar, but the edge window must be closed first.
I have Google Chrome set as the default browser. I opened Edge but it was not my default but asked me if I wanted Edge as the default
browser so I closed the window. I do not have Edge pinned in my taskbar. Bing hasn't popped up this afternoon, so we will see how it
goes. Thanks for your help so far.

beers

Staff member
Is it always the full browser, or is it notifications on the tray? My wife's grandma clicked on some crap once and I had to just disable the Windows notifications for that since she was bombarded with them every couple of minutes.