BIOS configuration questions

PC eye

banned
That was the same case where one of my drives was loaned out until that quit and I was asked about getting XP on the old style Sata I drive that had been ordered. The drive faltered when the owner neglected to use a can of air cleaner once in what over a year's time! :rolleyes: Try pulling a blanket of dust off of a board. :eek:

StrangleHold

Staff member
PCeye the Sata driver thats loaded has nothing to do with the harddrive itself being Sata 1.5 or 3.0, no matter what you think. The driver is for the motherboard chipset Sata port. Some 3.0 Sata harddrives can automatically convert back to 1.5 and some require a jumpers setting to convert back to 1.5. But it has nothing to do with the Motherboard chipset Sata port driver, its the drive itself and you still use F6 to install them. But the Sata driver that your loading has nothing to do with the drive, its the Chipset Sata port driver thats being loaded. Period! You can come back with some hard luck story but I,m out of this.

PC eye

banned
When the F6 option was used nothing was seen there with the drivers loaded. Once the press S option was used suddenly without a need for a driver disk the XP installer then knew what chipset to load it's own generic set for.

And you were stouting about not needing to press F6 to see drivers loaded due to some boards not requiring it. Apparently the tone changes for the occasion as usual.

StrangleHold

Staff member
And you were stouting about not needing to press F6 to see drivers loaded due to some boards not requiring it. Apparently the tone changes for the occasion as usual.

Your reaching for straws, and twisting threads again. Just because you dont have to load Sata drivers most of the time does not mean you never have to. The best you can do in life to be right is by twisting other people comments to make your self look better. If you put as much effort into learning something as you do defending bogas comments/Statements you might be able to get something right every now and then instead of doing it by (luck) with Google and Wikipedia. Your like a 3 year old in a 50 year old body saying 5+5=9 and nothing anybody says can change your mind. The bad thing is you know its 10 but your too self centered to admit your wrong because you keep sticking your foot in your mouth and go on defending a wrong statement to the point of stupidity. Read this.
http://www.unlearning.org/home.htm
http://www.petitiononline.com/stpstpid/petition.html

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Now you are getting a little redundant. On other threads when mentioning the need for a driver disk here on the last 939 build you were the one that would come in and state that some boards don't need a driver disk. You just keep contradicting yourself. And as always you simply prefer hijacking a thread again. :rolleyes:

JohnJSal if you are any Sata II drive typically seen you won't to worry about simply plugging them in and running them. The software cd that comes along with the board will usually have the tool for creating a driver disk found there or at the manufacturer's support site if needed.

One look at the back of the drive will show you right away if it is or isn't the older Sata I type since Sata II drives won't have any jumpers or typical molex type power connector seen on the right rear of the drive itself. If you should get stuck along the way there's a brief guide with photos, Installing a Serial ATA Hard Drive, seen at http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYSATAHD.htm

JohnJSal

Now you are getting a little redundant. On other threads when mentioning the need for a driver disk here on the last 939 build you were the one that would come in and state that some boards don't need a driver disk. You just keep contradicting yourself. And as always you simply prefer hijacking a thread again. :rolleyes:

JohnJSal if you are any Sata II drive typically seen you won't to worry about simply plugging them in and running them. The software cd that comes along with the board will usually have the tool for creating a driver disk found there or at the manufacturer's support site if needed.

One look at the back of the drive will show you right away if it is or isn't the older Sata I type since Sata II drives won't have any jumpers or typical molex type power connector seen on the right rear of the drive itself. If you should get stuck along the way there's a brief guide with photos, Installing a Serial ATA Hard Drive, seen at http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYSATAHD.htm

Well, my HDD is very new, so I'm thinking I won't have to worry with drivers. I'm also going to leave the BIOS at default settings and see if that works first.

PC eye

banned
When first booting up all drives detected will be seen right on the post screen during the system tests there. One time saver used here when preparing a drive is to simply leave a the hard drive as the default boot device if the bios offers a boot device list for a one time session.

You simply select the optical drive to then boot with either the OS disk or here GParted live for cd the Linux drive partitioning tool. Even with Vista's partitioning tool you can end up seeing a 1-8mb gap of unallocated drive space when using that for partitioning.

On most boards the default in the boot order will be for floppy then the hard drive. But refer to the board's manual to get familiar with the model board used there.

StrangleHold

Staff member

I have come to really believe that theres something wrong with you. Your the most Google/ wikipedia master on here, you twist your post to the point of exhaustion and then have the arrogance to call (anyone) who calls you on your wrong/crap statements that there Highjacking-contradicting-over there head-missed it. Anybody would be advised to not listen to 90% of what you say. Its a shame you mislead so many people out of just wanting to look like you know what your talking about.