BIOS Flash Failed, Now Motherboard is Dead...

jamesd1981

You may see a slight increase but nothing huge, your cpu, ram etc are still the same, if you got a sata 3 board you would see quite an increase from hard drive and as an effect perhaps boot time and file transfer.

Well they seem to be a pretty big supplier so i would think they are pretty reliable.

I would certainly go for the 1155 upgrade regardless, so it`s about getting the most for the parts you sell, cpu is no problem, and motherboard maybe with the £20 or so to get the board working again, so you can sell it also.

spirit

Staff member
Could just sell the board as spares/repairs and state that it needs a BIOS chip in order to get it running again, but it can't guarantee that's all it needs. In the past I have sold stuff as spares/repairs on eBay and it has sold. So you say upgrade to 1155 then?

jamesd1981

Yes i suppose you could do that at least you would get something for the board as well, so between the cpu and the board, you should just about cover the new board and cpu, your end price will really depend on which cpu you choose.

spirit

Staff member
I'd choose the i5 2400 or 2500 and I have spoken to Dad about my board and he's keen to buy a replacement 1156 one - is Biostar is a good brand? Is this or this a good board?

jamesd1981

Biostar motherboards are not bad for how cheap they are, but both the boards you are looking at are sata 2, so you will still have the reduced performance of connecting sata 3 drives to a sata 2 motherboard.

spirit

Staff member
oh well dude, can't have everything. Do the boards have AHCI? I should imagine they do.

spirit

Staff member
Already checked it does have AHCI. Found a used ASUS P7P55D-E on ebay for £80, buy it now, so I may get that as it has SATA III and USB 3. I've let Dad know about it.

jamesd1981

Yes i would certainly try from the asus, is it from a private seller or company, and is their feedback all good ?

spirit

Staff member
In case you're interested, I have just ordered a second-hand but mint ASUS P7P55D-E board for £80 + £8 P&P from eBay. Went for this board over the MSI P55-CD53 and the Biostar boards because this has USB 3.0 and SATA III which my drives can advantage of. It also has multi-GPU support (Crossfire I think). Won't be flashing the BIOS! ;)

spirit

Staff member
That's why I purchased it. I think £87 total second hand is pretty good considering the board still retails new for about £113 on Amazon.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah once I've got the ASUS board all in and running, I will try and put the Foxconn on eBay as spares/repairs and explain what went wrong with it. Suspect somebody who refurbishes these boards then sells them on again will buy it. Sold faulty motherboards and graphics cards on eBay in the past and always been lucky, so... :)

spirit

Staff member
Have you checked the manual for bios recovery options?
I lost the manual the board came with and Foxconn's website is down at the moment so I can't download one, and I bet the manual would tell me no such thing. Already ordered the replacement board now so once it's all in and working I will have to work out what to do with the Foxconn and see if its worth selling.

tremmor

I figured you tried this. When available click on support for your motherboard. They might have program to try and recover the bios and put back to defaults.
its a maybe if ya did not. Depends on what went wrong during flash and where written i think.

spirit

Staff member
Got a copy of the manual which I found on Google (not from FC's site), and there is no mention of BIOS recovery. All I get are the options to load fail safe defaults which is what the board ships with, but that's useless to me as the machine doesn't even POST.

spirit

Staff member
My ASUS board shipped this morning (First Class Recorded) so it should be here shortly. Thank you for all the help guys, much appreciated, and I will put the Foxconn on eBay as spares/repairs once I have got my ASUS up and running.

Edit 17th Feb 2012 It's here now . :)

Last edited: